• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do we strive so hard to do the splits?

SaiFightsMS

http://www.stadion.com/stretch.html ...

speaking of such books, just finished this one and its one that will get you all working on those splits. I can do a forward split no problem but my side split needs work.

ITF/TKD Black Belt (1st dan)/Fitness Kickboxing Instructor

(KarateForums Sensei)

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-01-02 17:11 ]

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we strive so hard to do the splits?

Because people want to develop the ability to kick to the moon. This looks good but has no real value in a street fight.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Doing the splits is simply a high benchmark of one's flexibility. Anyone who has been training in martial arts for any significant amount of time knows that the ability to do splits does not mean that you have the ability to kick high anyways, coz you need dynamic flexibility for that. Whether or not it is necessary to have that much flexibility under your belt (no pun intended) in a real fight does not really matter, it simply cannot hurt for your muscles to be more limber when practicing those kicks, low or high. (Although I have read that excess flexibility can be detrimental in some circumstances, i.e. squat lifters with overlimber quads). Being able to do the splits just means that you are really flexible in the hamstring/hip/adductor/gluteus area, and it is usually only a good thing for overall muscular health.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

ah... hence the nickname spinninggumby ... might I assume you have great flexibility?

True, it doesn't mean you have the ability to kick high ... in a real fight though you don't have the chance to stretch before. You cannot take time out to do so ..."listen can you wait 5 or 10 while I stretch out, we then can commence the fight ok?" That is why the book I mentioned was so cool to read. It prepares you to throw high kicks with absolutely no warm up ... yes, through dynamic stretching.

After I quit laughing I started to think.

All of the benefits of flexibility and high kicks is a waste if the kick is not recoiled quickly enough or was telegraphed to that the open area is know ahead of time.

well practice makes you better so well you got to try that kick intil finally you do it good. But you really don't have to worry about using it in a turniment inless you really got to or you got a chance to get the upper hand on your oppointent so it could be useful and also not. But I would perfer to have a really high kick so when I need it I can use it instead of struggling with the kick :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

The family jewels will always be open as long as it is a high kick, LOL recoil or no recoil, telegraph or no telegraph :razz: :razz: Believe me I train with the intent of recoiling as fast as possible. But it gets stupid and incredibly predictable when you throw like 10 high kicks in a row. Idiotic of me, yes of course. But they are still fun to do. But not at the cost of bruised nads (I can say that without being censored, can't I?). Guess that's why a high kick will only work in real combat if it is unpredictable, fast, and precisely timed.

I know that this is totally off the subject, but some people try to speed up their kicks and punches by focusing too much on whipping their leg or fist out fast, but actually what works better is focusing on pulling the fist or leg back quicker. It's some psychological thing or something, but it actually works. It is simple but for some reason it's something that a lot of people don't think about.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

My instructors are always laughing at the way I can kick around 5 or 6 inches over my head, but I can't do a split. My brothers call me the "no stretch wonder". :smile: I'm always trying to do a split just because everyone knows me as the girl who can't stretch.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!