Maddwraph

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try doing 20 push ups as a start...if you cant do push ups get in a push up position and do a half push up and stay there as long as you can...later on you will be able to do push ups.

for those expert push up doers...

do 200 regular push ups...

50...knuckle push ups

50....wrist push ups...

50.....finger push ups..

Even the most powerful human being has a limited sphere of strength. Draw him outside of that sphere and into your own, and his strength will dissipate.

I'm appalled...I mean amazed no one has mentioned this (although for some they maybe took it for granted and didn't feel the need to) part:

Breathe out when you go down and in when you go up. There are too many people that I see that don't control their breathing or don't breathe at all...

As with most weight-bearing exercises, aren't you supposed to breath out on the exhertion (i.e. on the way up)?

Elevate your feet on a chair. Balance something heavy, (not too heavy) on the upper back.

Now try the pushups with the palms, as normal.

Now try the pushups on the knuckes four then two.

Now try the pushups lifting all fingers but the thumbs off the floor.

Now try the pushups with the fingers on the floor and not the palm.

Now try the pushups with the "back of the hands"

Remove the chair, and use a low platform to put your hands on (reverse elevation)

Now with any of these spread the arms and * the hands in different directions.

Now lastly, after many weeks/months, put a box of sand down. Not too thick of a layer. Place your hands in that.

Wow. I bow to you. You're my newest hero! I'm still working on doing 50 in a row, on my entire hand... palm on the floor.

I'm appalled...I mean amazed no one has mentioned this (although for some they maybe took it for granted and didn't feel the need to) part:

Breathe out when you go down and in when you go up. There are too many people that I see that don't control their breathing or don't breathe at all...

As with most weight-bearing exercises, aren't you supposed to breath out on the exhertion (i.e. on the way up)?

I use this method for three reasons:

1. It naturally happened that way (okay, not a good one).

2. I find that the breath is easier on the upwards motion as you are "opening" your body as you rise and "closing" your body as you fall.

3. Due to the nature of the pushup, it is harder the more you are closer to the ground and easier the higher up you are (structural support is better when you are fully extended in the up position). Therefore it takes more work going down. I'll talk about this more in my next point, but this was assuming you are trying to do a controlled motion in both directions without taking an extra breath at the bottom.

Now, if you were doing them for speed, then I sometimes do it in the opposite manner, since I just let my body fall on the down motion and push up on the upwards motion. I was talking more about training than in terms of "competition" or "fitness test" speed methods. Especially when you are tired, people have an easier time gaining energy exhaling, so you might want to exhale on the upwards motion as well.

As a sort of related note, it is commonly accepted in a lot of martial arts that exhaling is weak and inhaling is strong. But the inhale can be used to generate power like the exhale as well.

But you brought up a good point, thanks.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

start out doing normal pushups, and god damn it, dont stop because you feel a bit of soreness, if yuo can do more, by all means, do more. once you can do about 30, do knuckle pushups, once you can do 40 of those, do finger pushups. eventually youll be doing pushups with just one finger on each hand, and maybe even more difficult pushups.

Keep it intense!!!!

Ok my goal is to get to 300 pushups in a day by the end of this week, thats in a day mind you. What does doing all those pushups do for me exactly?

The sand bringeth and the sand taketh away...

Disciple of Master Jules' Temple of Sand Dojo

Depends how you're grouping them and what methods you are using.

Push-ups is general build some strength and are good for stamina, and I'm sure they improve muscle memory to a point.

Knuckle push-ups strengthen the knuckles and wrist, and help you keep it aligned when punching. If done on a hard and/or rough surface, calouses will likely build up in time.

Fingertip push-ups will stengthen the hands and fingers.

Triangle push-ups will target the triceps more than the chest.

Wider push-ups will target the chest more than the triceps.

Push-ups on the backs of the hands will strengthen the joints and wrists.

Clapping push-ups have a more dynamic motion and take more effort, thus they are more similar to a striking motion.

And so on..

Basically, they have plenty of advantages if done correctly.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.