• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

push ups, good method for them

Maddwraph

i can do like 15 push ups then have to wait a while and can do some more, i do 3 sets of this a day. is this good? i remember a person on this forum said they do 10 push ups, wait 10 seconds, and then do 10 more, wat is the best method to do push ups? anyone ahev suggestions how i should go about this and how much i should doa day? thanks

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not out or busy then I try to do 200 every other evening. Twice a week I do Karate and I'll probably do more than 200 during class.

I'm also curious as to whether this is a good idea (I've only been doing it a few weeks at the most but intend on keeping to it now, and increasing it every so often when I get stronger).

Work them like everything else. 10 reps in three sets is good to start. Set a new goal for yourself as often as you can stand it. Do 12 and 3, then do 15 and 3, then do 15 and 4, 20 and 4, etc, etc. Just go at your own pace and don't overdo it.

Mixed Martial Artist

I used to do pushups of my fingers, not my hands. I would arch my hands if you get me?

Some people do them on their fists.

I typically do them with my hands in a traingle shape below my face like /_\ directly blow my neck/face area. Much harder than standard pushups.

http://www.comingonstrong.co.uk/pics/sig.jpg

for a good change up, try ballistic pushups, get in pushup position and try and launch yourself off the ground every time, very exhausting and great for power, just make sure your strong enough to do them and you are adequately warmed up to avoid injury

1st Dan CTF Taekwondo

Shodan Tomiki Ryu Aikido

Sometimes I do what i call microwave warmups.... 20 push ups, 20 situps, 18 pushups, 18 sit ups etc until i reach 2.... that's a nice quick equipment free workout... and it keeps u fit.

Rick :karate: :up:

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

Just Kick Them, They'll Understand...

-TBK

On a normal day, after shadow boxing , stances, and kicking; I'll do some push-ups to get things pumping. It's usually about five cycles of the following (no more than 30 seconds between each):

20 push-ups

15 triangle push-ups

20 knuckle push-ups

10 fingertip push-ups

15 clapping push-ups

Then at the end of a training session I'll do three sets of as many as possible (assorted types). I'm trying to build up callouses on my hands and knuckles, so I'll occasionally lay down small stones and cinders and do the push-ups on them (being careful to pick out any glass or metal fragments, I learned that the hard way!). Another type I use to strengthen the knuckles and wrists is to find a flat hard surface, then do "clapping" knuckle push-ups...they must be working for me, the knuckles don't bruise afterwards any more.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Also, like in any weight training, you can do forced reps, but instead of having a training partner help u with the weights you do this...

Do as many pushups as u can on your toes, and when the burn becomes too much for the proper push ups u then quickly change to doing pushups on your knees, and do as many as possible... then stop and have your rest before repeating.

RJT: 2nd Degree Black Belt Freestyle Kickboxer - 3rd Gup HapKiDoist - 6th Kyu Zen Go Shu KarateKa

-TBK

I reckon it depends on how u feel. but say if i did 10 push ups, i would wait 20 seconds before doing more. 20 push ups i'd wait 40 seconds etc...

I think it's just something about the lactic acid getting out of there so u can go again.

-TBK