• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Iron Body Conditioning

Etybolik

I started training in the style USA Goju Federation about 4 or 5 months ago and the abuse that some of the people in Goju (mainly the Okinawan forms) can take is amazing. While talking with a friend of mine on the subject of long neglected training methods he mentioned a form of training called Iron Arms, Ironl Chest, and Iron Legs. Martial artists would have training partners strike their forearms, up and down their legs, their entire upper body. all around in just about any area a strike may hit on the main trunk of the body for a sustained period of time. When they healed they were able to take just about that much punishment on their body again without such intense injury occuring to them and eventually would get to the point to where being struck with sticks would do very little damage and could be incorperated(sp) into the training to further strengthen the body. I have not been able to find very detailed information on this myself but was wodering everyone's opnions on it here. I plan to start this form of training once I can find a more reliable source of information on it, I've already begun makiwara training on the maleluka trees near my house and notice a strengthening in my knuckles and wrist.

~~~~~~~~~

To say that you have taken karate and never been hit is to say that you have never taken Goju.

- Goju Saying

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i heard these kinds of things where if u keep getting hit, u build ressistance, it kidn of makes sense, before u try it though, defnitely see if its safe. wats that makiwara training and wats a maleluka tree?

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

maleluka trees are often called paper trees, they have a very soft papery bark that covers the trunk, but underneath it' solid. Makiwara training is where you practice your punching technique on an object to build strenth in the knuckles and wrist so that when you throw a punch and connect with someone you don't hurt yourself as badly as if you only ever did open ait punching. normally makiwara boards stand chest height from the ground and have some give to them so that when you punch you get the resistence but not too much when you're starting out... I just use the tree with a section of the soft bark stripped away.

~~~~~~~~~

To say that you have taken karate and never been hit is to say that you have never taken Goju.

- Goju Saying

There is a section on that in this Qigong book I am reading (Qigong: The Secret of Youth by Jwing-Ming Yang) it gives some pretty good info on it. Divides it up into 4 intensities and gives different training methods, along with massage and healing techniques, tying it all into a Qigong framework. Yang keeps mentioning his previous Qigong book in a prerequisite context (The Roots of Chinese Qigong) but I havent picked it up yet - I plan on it though!

As far as the iron fists goes, there are these bags you can get (dont recall the terminology offhand,) that you can fill with rice (good to start with) and then move on to sand when your hands are ready for it. Better starting place than something outright solid! :)

Wish I would have gotten one of those instead of busting myself up on the fridge about a hundred times. Oh well, it serves it's purpose.

And afater the sand, metal pellets!

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

I have been studing for about 16 yrs and my father was my primary instructor. When I first started he told me befor I can hit I have to take it. He was right. I can now take a beatin for about 20 min and still be good to go. So I guess for the most part it dose work just have to be willing to let someone beat the hell pot pf ya.

Hey my name is SSG Rush Bascomb, I joined when I was 18 and been in now 8 yrs. I am 25 and been studing the arts since i was 8. My dad was my instuctor and still is. He was an instructor in the military and now teaches the all the north TX police Departments. I am married to a beautifal gal and she is my life.

All I got to say is make sure that anything you strike has some give. If it doesn't, you are just setting yourself up for long-term (and usually short-term) damage to your body.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

i train iron body, i find it very beneficial, but its hard to find students these days that are crazy enough to go through the training to get the skill....i've only found one truely dedicated to with stand all the punishment need to start mastering it in the last....hmmmm its been awhile. I have a few students that will do some of the basics but nothing like the stuff i used to do when i was training and what my friends would do with me when we trained and train still when we get together

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• 2 weeks later...