• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Few Basics:From a Book?

So, is the general agreement that books are "reference data" and not actual supplemental training?

Yes they are reference data and partially also supplemental however it should be supplemental to a training in a class with an instructor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Slight variation to topic: I have a teacher, so I will use him for form and technique. However, does anyone know of a good book that will explain the history, development, and differences of the various Karate styles. Which ones make use of weapons? Which weapons? How long have styles been around? etc, etc.

Thank you in advance."

there are a lot of good books, and a lot of not so good books. i could give you a few, but i'm not even sure they're still in print. i've had the most luck looking for stuff in second hand bookstores. go to the MA section, look through, see what i can find. i think there's a book sticky around here somewhere...

aha, here it is: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8082

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Try "Okinawa Island of Karate", by George W. Alexander. It is an excellent history book with the origins and lineage of all the prominent Okinawan styles (and some not so promonent ones as well).

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 3 weeks later...

Kung Fu is hard. Kung Fu, depending on the style, is one of the hardest martial arts to learn completely and master, because it's very technique heavy and complex when you're learning it. I took me 4 months to get the basics founded in my system, and its really just punches, kicks, and strikes. The best thing you can really do for yourself to prepare for martial arts is train physically. Make yourself strong and tough.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure books/videos, etc. are all that useless or "reference only". after a strong foundation of basics (i.e. black belt level), they can serve as supplemental training. If you understand the concepts behind what you already do, I imagine one could even learn an entire (similar) art - but only then. I would, however, invest a serious amount of time in an art with an instructor first, and make sure the basics are grounded. For example, I have been in Tang Soo Do for 12 or 13 years now, and I am a 4th Dan. I would just now consider attempting to learn a similar art from a non-instructor resource, from my understanding of technique and application. I think videos are better, especially if you know what to look for (watch the video through as if you are watching a student that you are teaching, see what techniques are done, make frequent use of the pause button, and see how/why those techniques are done). It is much much easier to learn from an instructor, and far harder to screw up your muscle memory, but quality instruction from a non-instructor resource is possible, given these factors.