• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Few Basics:From a Book?

Books are only to complete your knowledge of martial art, you cannot learn an art from a book (especially as hard as kung fu) you need a real teacher that can correct you, see if your stance is good if the technique is done in the correct manner, you need classmates to spare with.

BTW the "Idiot's guide to karate" (very good book I should say) is a sort of guide to what you actually learn in a dojo, not an instructor replacement.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

is there any book [electronic or otherwise] that IS sort of an instructor replacement?? especially in tai-chi and kendo/kenjutsu???

help required please!!! :D

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.Anger is a gift.--Hagakure

Well, I don't think you can really learn techniques without a true teacher to correct your mistakes. However, you can learn the core principles of your art which could have a profound effect on how you practice/spar/compete. Ex.: I can't perform a Judo throw all that well, but the basic principles of balance breaking, positioning and execution (which I learned from Jimmy Pedro's Judo book) have allowed me to take down several opponents with crude wrestling style techniques. Just my thoughts.

Prospector, you just proved our case for us. You said you can't perform a judo throw all that well, yet you say that you learned the basic principles of balance breaking, positioning and execution. If you had truly learned these things and understood them as well ash you should then you would be able to perform said throw. This is why you should have a teacher show you core techniques and principles. There is too much room for a beginner to misinterpret information from a book. Thanks for proving our other posts on why you need an instructor. 8)

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

is there any book [electronic or otherwise] that IS sort of an instructor replacement?? especially in tai-chi and kendo/kenjutsu???

help required please!!! :D

I do not belive that any MA can be learned from a book. In my opinion this is 100% true for karate but becomes 500% true for Tai chi.

Slight variation to topic: I have a teacher, so I will use him for form and technique. However, does anyone know of a good book that will explain the history, development, and differences of the various Karate styles. Which ones make use of weapons? Which weapons? How long have styles been around? etc, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein