• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

doing the splits

sickwithit13

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Doing dynamic stretching after workouts and pinching the floor with your feet while doing side splits will help you get there. Also you need to loosing up your hips with like crescent kicks. Tom Kurz has a good book on it. He says you can gain the suspended splits in 3-4 months using his method...I have trouble stretching regularly though and I dont think my body is designed real well for splits in any event and so I haven't attained that ability yet.

Long Live the Fighters!

sickwithit13: "Does it really help your high kicks?"

Yes, having flexibility increases accuracy, speed, and allows you to work on technique. Have patience, an injury due to trying to stretch too much too fast may set you back farther than when you started.

"And it is this lack of fear that makes for the dance" - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

(https://www.loudounmartialarts.com)

Another way is,go into the split position(well atleast the farthest you can go),and try to touch your head to the floor.Either the floor or to your knee's,alternate by moving your head left n right knee's.And remember to breath out when you lean foward.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

sickwithit13: "Does it really help your high kicks?"

Yes, having flexibility increases accuracy, speed, and allows you to work on technique. Have patience, an injury due to trying to stretch too much too fast may set you back farther than when you started.

Agreed

I don't know your age but do take your time. If you make it a part of your daily routine you will get there eventually. I do a middle split for 10 minutes each night while I watch the news religiously and it has done wonders. I do not stretch to hard just let it hurt a little and I find each week I get closer to my goal.

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

I bought the Tom Kurz book and found a lot of it difficult to understand the first time around. Reading it a second time and focusing made a huge difference. I just bought a used stretching machine by Century that is only 4 months old for $125.00 dollars. I need something like this as I cannot spread my legs apart and bend over in the sitting position. It's very frustrating and I'm testing for my black belt in a few months. I think the machine will make things a bit easier as I have something to grab onto while spreading the legs apart. I'm 45 and it's not easy, but I guess nothing worthwhile ever is.

Chaz

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.