• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Go Kan Ryu Question

jacko

Hello everyone

This is my first post on this forum. I am also a new student to Karate and have a question regarding the Go Kan Ryu style.

The sensei at my club wears a belt that is black with a white stripe running through the centre. I have tried to look into the grading/belt structure of this style, but I can not find this belt/grade in any style. Can anyone take the time to enlighten me to meaning of this as I feel it would be inappropriate to ask directly.

Many thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hes not a black belt.

Its an instructors belt, kyu grade instructors were them supposedly to show who the instructor of the class is.

However BB instructors were their BB's.

Basically its there so you dont know your instructors grade.

I train with GKR (for the moment) have done for a long time. I have the "honour" of being a BW belt. Its the aspect of GKR that I hate.

MY advice, find a class with a decent actuall BB instructor. That BW bet may be ok to start off with, then go to your regions senior classes.

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't this act of money making dishonesty against all moral/ethical codes of Karate?

I feel quite disgusted that I have been deceived into thinking highly of this chap, being that he is named as a 'Senior Instructor' for my area!

I shall be looking for a new club with a reputable association immediately.

Before I waste anymore money with this charlatan.

Thank you again fro opening my eyes to this. :-?

Jacko

Hmm, if he is a senior instructor he will prob be at most 1 grade below BB.

GKR is alright as far as things go. But its sport karate. What I dont like is it is said to be SD karate also.

Moral ethical codes of karate? Karate is about killing people.. ;)

Dont quit in a hurry. Have a lokk round for other options first.

Do you have previous MA experience?

Where do you live/train?

Moral ethical codes of karate? Karate is about killing people.. ;)

I think maybe Master Funakoshi may have had something to say about that one :)

I have no previous experience of MA, but am very interested in learning Traditional Karate in London.

Jacko

I daresay he would. He'd probably agree. :)

I know what you mean by the statement though.

Karate is a vicious little MA that was invented as a way to kill people with your bare hands. The ethics that go with are great, they are there to stop people using when its not neccasary or to stop trained people instigating violence.

However if violence is going to happen then get rid of your oponent as soon as you possibly can.

I've read Funakoshi's book. He advocated one strike philosophy: i.e. ensure that, with each strike you should aim to finish the fight with that one strike. Yet the only time he records using karate against an aggressor (and he did finish the fight), he says he felt ashamed of himself!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

He says he was ashamed because he felt he should have been able to talk it down, just shows he was a decent bloke really.

The one strike philosophy needs to be examined further. It means every strike should aim to finish things, but may not. If it doesn't then strike again with the same aim in mind.

Hows this one: "There is no first strike in karate"

What does that mean?