• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have arrived...

doubletwist

Hello, I've decided to introduce myself, even though I've already made some posts elsewhere :)

I'm 30, and am currently a yellow belt in American Kenpo in the DFW area.. I've been practicing for about 3-4 months, although I did about 3 months worth several years ago.

I originally started Kenpo in California because that's where a friend of mine was going, but I've really fallen in love with the style, the techniques, the speed and the great attitude of those I practice/learn with. I'm doing it for a combination of self-defense and fitness. As an added bonus it has already helped my coordination tremendously.

Um... not sure what else to say. These forums look interesting, and I've already found some useful information and interesting discussions, so here I am.

DT

PS. And lest anyone take the above stated love of style, technique, speed etc. the wrong way, I have no qualms regarding any other style or anyone who practices any other style.. I just feel that Kenpo really fits me well.

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello and welcome doubletwist. Glad to have you here at KF. Nothing wrong with loving the style you practice, you'll find a lot of folks here that feel the same way. We all just try to understand how others feel about their style and never say that one is better than another. Welcome once again! :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Hello, Welcome to Karate Forums !

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

It's always great to see someone who's passionate about their art. It's like "hey, you too?", and you know you aren't alone in this great big Internet. :karate:

edit:: I'd just like to apologize for the above post, as after re-reading, I realized it was definitely the corniest thing I've ever written.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Welcome to KF. :karate:

Don't you like Texas? :-?

Well, after living in Northern California [san Jose area] for 8 years, I don't particularly like Texas. So many of the things I really enjoyed doing are just not possible here. There's no good places to ride my motorcycle without either paying for track-time or riding 3 hours to find "hills". I can't just hop down to the beach/boardwalk in a half-hour if I want. I can't go driving/walking through the redwoods, and it's significantly more than a 3 hour drive to go skiing.

The only reason we're really living here is the cost of living. I'm not really up to paying $1million dollars for a house we can have here for $150k... :)

But at least I finally found a decent Kenpo dojo out here, so that is keeping me somewhat busy.

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie