• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

King Buddha Enters.

KingBuddha

Hello everyone. Iam new to martial arts and am really trying to find one that will be good for me and one i can use and learn if anyone has any idea's please contact me. Iam 14 years old I go to school still. I would like to do a martial art that really lets me be able to defend my self when iam out on the streets due to the increase in street crime in nottingham (uk). i dont feel judo would be very good for me as i have an uncle who does judo and it doesnt appeal. Thank you to anyone with any tips or information. :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF. Good luck finding the art that suits you best. Try visiting schools in your area to see how they are ran and if the style is of interest to you. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Hello, Welcome to Karate Forums ! This is a great place to help you with your questions about martial arts.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Hello and welcome to KF.

You do not like judo so you prefer a striking MA for self defence. Try something like Kickboxing, Muay Thai or Karate.

Thanks everyone, well ive looked around and noticed that Kung Fu and Tae Kwon do Both take my fancy, not quite sure what i'd like to do. Is there one out of the two that can help make me fitter quicker ? or anything or which is easier to grasp and use in everyday situations (by this i mean, muggers etc)

Welcome to the forums! :wave:

As a TKD-ist myself, I'm a little biased towards TKD. I think it's a great art to start with as a foundation (especially if you think you could seek to add-on other arts later on), depending on what kind you choose. If the school you're looking at offers self-defense and a program that seems pretty cardio-intensive, it looks like you may have found yourself a winner. :) Check out a few classes at both the TKD and Kung Fu schools, look at the prices, and don't sign anything before checking in with us again ;)

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Hello!

I'm a TKD-ist as well. Be careful about TKD, most schools aren't legit. The TKD school I go to is primarily sport, and that's fine by me, because of the other martial art school I attend. You have to visit schools, dabble in what they have to offer. Most importantly, if you have other friends who are martial artists, analyze their abilities to see what's right for you.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Welcome.

If you are looking for self-defense stuff, you might also look into Kenpo. It's much geared towards self-defense and defense against multiple attackers [although that's a bit advanced :) ] I've only been studying Kenpo for a few months and I do feel much more comfortable with my abililty to handle a street situation [not ready to handle another trained martial artist yet though.] There are a fair number of schools in the UK, although I don't know if any are near where you are.

My advice would be that choosing the right school is as important as finding the right style. A good style can be ruined by a bad school.

A lot of others here seem to really push Muay Tai and Krav-maga for self-defense.

And although my school unfortunately doesn't offer it, BJJ [brazilian Jujitsu/Gracie Jujitsu] is often used to round off the training in case the fight ends up on the ground [often very likely].

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie