• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Problem with my Dojang.

Mu Ryuk, being afraid that he will get angry or offended is a good thing! It tells me your not just thinking about yourself, but your are human and curiosity doesen't always kill the cat.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had the same problem. I was in a great group, the instructor was a really nice guy. But he mostly just taught forms and workouts. If you want to take martial arts, you expect to learn self defense(conditioning is important too though). Otherwise you could just join a gym.

1-up!

I agree with those suggesting to talk about that with you instructor. You know him try to find the best way to ask (the 6-pack beers idea may work or maybe not :lol: but you'll find a way :wink: ). If you are not satisfied with the answer and your main purpose is learning to fight you better find another school or.... as an alternative you may start to cross train with a self-defence based MA (JKD, krav Maga etc).

Hey Saltchrome your signature rocks :up: .

What makes you think you are not learning how to fight? Besides the lack of sparring. Have you been in any altercations?

Unfortunately, yes I have been in fights...but they were all against stupid high school kids. You hit them hard in the ribs once and they go home crying to mommy. I really don't know how I'd hold up against someone who can take some good hits.

As for the 6-pack thing...well, I'm fifteen...and I don't know what Mr.Durney's favorite beer is :P

Although I've seen some pictures of him camping with his family drinking Bud Light...but shh...it's "Pepsi Light" for the kids... :D

Heh heh, thanks all. When I feel the moment is right, I'll talk to Mr.Durney.

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.

Im in the same situation. I love my school. A combination of Muay Thai, FMA, and JKD. But it takes 2 1/2 years to start sparring. Im 1 year in and having a really hard time. Seriously considering going to an Muay Thai gym and sparring in 1 month. What makes it so tough is I do beleive in what Im learning, the instructor comes from great lineage, and he's been in lots of fights when he grew up in the Philipines. Plus I hate doing forms and we dont do them there. Perfect... except for the one huge aspect of not sparring for a very long time. Ive been reading alot about the "alive" concepts from

https://www.straightblastgym.com

and its making me very doubtful about what Im doing.

I had trained in a school that had a concrete floor (which you fell on hard). The instructor was so involved with fighting, esp streetfighting, that he would set a "cooking timer" for 3 minutes a let combatants go at it..no pads and you better get off the flooor if you fell. Worse, for advanced students, he would wheelbarrow and shovel parking lot gravel on the floor and students go at it. Many nasty bruises and scratches from those sessions...and not many from the opponents.

Needless to say, there were no juveniles and written combat agreement.