• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where is your MA school?

The Dojo I belong is in an old firehouse. How about that?? And it is part of the Brooks Township Hall. But they own it, well half of it. They pay half of the Bill to the Hall. And some of the emlpoyees at the Hall are employees at my Dojo as well. We are all just a big Dojo, Hall family. Cool Huh??

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My instructor just had a place built a year ago. It looks like a house on the outside, but it is huge on the inside. We used to train in a strip mall type place (little place). My TSD school was also in a strip mall, but that school was a good size.

Laurie F

Shorinryu Sensei, out of those surfaces that you've taught on, which do you prefer ? Also, did the gymnastic floor present any challenges ?

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

A private strcuture with a lobby and office in the front and a wooden floor dojang. There are changing rooms in the back, one for females and one males, both equiped with showers. The men's room is attached to a suuna. They are seperated by a small room with a weight bench, treadmill, and leg stretch gadget.

The building is located at the end of a dead end street, so there isn't drive by traffic to catch the attention of possible new students. We do, howeve, have a high sign that can be see from the highway on the other end of the street.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Shorinryu Sensei, out of those surfaces that you've taught on, which do you prefer ? Also, did the gymnastic floor present any challenges ?

As to which I prefer, it didn't really matter now that I think about it. I think it's good to be on different surfaces because they each have their own strengths and weakness's. Of all of them, the one I disliked the most would be the tile floor. It gets slippery when the sweat starts running, and slips and falls happen because of it. One of the cement surfaces I trained on was also very slick cement..not a rough surface at all. It was slippery also.

I have think carpet over padding over cement on my dojo floor now, and I like that. Good traction/footing and it makes you work just a bit harder on balance with some techniques. I don't have any mats, so it's nicer than cement for floor techniques.

The gymnastics floor is great for sparring and takedowns/breakfalls, but really sucks for many kata's as balance is very difficult on it because it gives so much. I taught at that gymnastics gym for over 3 years and it was a sweet deal. I paid $100/month for rent and had a key to the place.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'm not sure what you call it. It's one of those really long buildings, where it's divided up into a bunch of different stores...

But it's moving to it's own building. Gonna be twice the size it is now. XD

When I do my advance training at the home dojo, it is in a coverted garage. When I teach, it is out of my garage which is set up with padded mats. On occasion, I'll go to the local park :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Karate dojo is on the basement of a university building (It's a university dojo) it has two large trainig halls but only one with tatami. It has two changing rooms with showers

Tai chi chuan is inside a kung fu school with two training halls one with a wooden floor (where we mostly train) and the other with padded floor for san da and some shaolin lessons, two changing rooms (guys and gals) with showers and a room for massage and medical center (our school hosts also chinese massage courses).

I currently teach out of a YMCA, and am building up a solid student base there.

My hope is to eventually start up in a second YMCA or community center, and one day to have a full time professional studio.

You gotta do it for Y M C A! you gotta do it for....

I train in a newly built local community centre. Kickboxing, boxercise, yogo and playschool classes and a few others are also held there.

"When my enemy contracts I expand and when he expands I contract" - Bruce Lee