• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts in the public school system.

I am curious as someone not living in the U.S. but in a country where liability is an issue. Some of you say martial arts would not work in U.S schools because of the risk of being sued. What about your wrestling, grid iron etc. surely students in those sports would be just as or more likely to suffer injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem being this.... Football and wrestling had a strong foothold in American School sports long before people thought about sueing other people, for liability as we know it today.

Also people look at martial arts and the first word that comes to mind is... FIGHT....

and we all know everyoen gets hurt when they fight.

Its a mind set, and with the current state of affairs being what they are, It is almost an impossible battle to fight to change non practitioners minds.

I would think that this (fighting perception) would be all the more reason to teach in schools. Showing the students there is much more than kicking and punching and brawling. The discipline and self confidence they would gain could help their studies greatly. Not to mention, if it is taught as a class and not as a sport, everyone would be on the same level, no tryouts etc. and learn respect for one another.

"Better to be a tiger for a day than

a sheep for a lifetime."

~ Chinese Proverb

i think i didnt make my thoughts clear on it..

Most people dont know anything about martial arts other then you kick and punch people...

they see the ultimate fighting championship and think that is all martial arts is about.

When people find out I am a black belt, the usual question i get is... OOO I bet you can mess someone up/beat someone up/kick someones butt/whatever?

the general impression of martial arts is one of fighting period...

I would think that this (fighting perception) would be all the more reason to teach in schools. Showing the students there is much more than kicking and punching and brawling. The discipline and self confidence they would gain could help their studies greatly. Not to mention, if it is taught as a class and not as a sport, everyone would be on the same level, no tryouts etc. and learn respect for one another.
Yea. Good luck trying to get that message across to the kids I go to school with. It's not gonna happen.

Again, I can't speak for everyone. But I have my ideas about things, and it would be near impossible to change my mind about them. Same as for other teenagers. We're stubborn. It's in our nature. If kids think all that MA is, is about fighting. That's what they're going to keep on thinking, even once they learn it.

I just think it would be a bad idea. If all certain people want to do is fight. I wouldn't like them to be able to fight good.

If all certain people want to do is fight. I wouldn't like them to be able to fight good.
You take Martial Arts. Is the only thing you want to do is fight? And if no, why not?

"Better to be a tiger for a day than

a sheep for a lifetime."

~ Chinese Proverb

If all certain people want to do is fight. I wouldn't like them to be able to fight good.
You take Martial Arts. Is the only thing you want to do is fight? And if no, why not?

No. Because I have nothing worth fighting over.

I was refering to the people in my school who get into these huge fights over the littlest things.

Those should be the people that are, unfortunately, screened out, or taken in and shown the disciplined and orderly side of the martial arts. All students would be taught the full depth of the Arts, not just fighting techniques. That is what would make it work and worth doing in the long run.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Let's focus on this...martial arts (depending on what style, of course) is primarily a SELF DEFENSE art. Defensive, and not offensive. This is where a lot of idealisms break down between students. Martial arts doesn't teach you to go out and fight indiscriminately.It teaches you confidence to deal with a situation if it jumps down your throat. I heard someone once say that the fight is usually determined by the attitudes of the combatants. If you show weakness or appear feeble, you're more likely to be a victim. If you exude confidence, which MA's assist you with, you are less likely to be victimized. There are some styles that teach you to be deliberately aggressive. In some situations (I have been in them) that is a necessity. But the average person won't be involved in many fights in their adult life. As kids, fights are almost a given. Teach kids MA's in schools? I don't agree with that. Not only would it be costly to start such a program (based on the school system's financial strains it wouldn't be feasible), but I don't think it has a place in normal curriculum. I can see it being an after-school activity, but I really think formal training in a dojo needs to stay in a dojo. Liability is a issue, but I don't think there's any more than wrestling or football.

Mixed Martial Artist