• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats good martial arts story or plot outline

ok guyz/ galz. usually in martial arts movies story becomes repeated such as revenge or entering a fighting tournament ect. what story outline would you people find interesting or like to see in a martial arts movie

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked "The Last Samurai". It was believeable, historically accurate, and did not suffer the common pitfalls that many MA movies suffer.

That is just my opinion. Although some may argue that "The Last Samurai" was not MA.

i'd really have to argue that it's not historically accurate.

personally, i really dig the story to once upon a time in china. and the prisoner.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

personally, i really dig the story to once upon a time in china.

Me too. It's one of my favourite films.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think the key to a good movie with martial arts in it is just that: Make a good movie with martial arts in the movie. Don't make a martial arts movie. When people do this the plot tends to suffer.

Amen Tomahawk! Last Samurai, Once Upon a Time in China, the upcoming, Hero, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon would all be great examples.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

crouching tiger has the added benefit of being a single chapter in a set of five books,

whose focus wasn't fighting but rather to tell a story about different lives in a certain era in a certain society.

it's all about love.......

once upon a time in china was blessed with a good director who has a good eye and experience working with 'traditional' guys.

you might've noticed it turned to pap once wong jung got his hands on the sequels.

the man is a fool who is obssess with sex and toilet humour.

what i am saying is that it isn't just the plot/story that matters.

anyway.

back to the question.

the best martial arts films seem to all have an underlying theme that relates to love, honour, dedication, commitment.....

again, i refer to 'crouching tiger' and 'once upon a time' and even what you guys know as 'ashes of time'.

these are set in a romantic world where it isn't just about beating people up.

the characters are all capable of great deeds

but the greatest things they do are often not about fighting.

in crouching tiger, the act was of loyalty and honour towards the ones who you love and the ones who have given you more than they should.

in once upon a time, the act was of standing up and to not be played like a fool (important when you take into account the context)

in ashes of time, the act was.... well, you go and watch it.

it kinda gives away the plot....

i guess, it is all about a human element.

you really feel for what the characters are going through because in some way you understand because they relate to our lives.

that is why trash like 'the one', 'romeo must die' (well, every u.s jet li film),

hmm, in fact most u.s martial arts films don't work on the same level.

they entertain but in a car crash kinda way.

it doesn't involve you in the same way as the last samurai and co does.

on the other hand,

as a simple action film

i point to the inimitable 'police story' to show how fight scenes can be set-up with being obviously so.

somehow, everything in that film works

(except one scene which makes me cringe every time...

why?

why try to insert comedy in that one???)

but then, not all of the action is about fighting....

which might help.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

My favourite plot lines were that of The Last Samurai, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Chinese Connection, and Iron Monkey.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

• 1 month later...