• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

motivation for starting martial arts

what was the reason you started martial arts for?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. what was the reason you started martial arts for?

• to improve your health
    • to show off infront of the girls.
    • because of a movie/actor
    • for self defence
    • you like fighting
    • other... (if yes please post the reason)

I am 33, and was in terrible health.

My children decided that they wanted to join, so we ablidged, and after watching them, I decided that this was one dream I wasn't going to pass up.

And WOW!, I feel great.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wanted to increase my mental and physical side. not to mention i was tired of people making disturbing comments on my health. and now i am training HARD even though im just a begginer. Oh yeah and its my favorite "sport" and its extremly fun.

My main reason for starting MA was because I was bored of going to a gym and my daughter was joining due to an interest in it.

I have always been interested but this was a good excuse to start.

I do like the fact I learn some practical fighting skills as well.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

At the beginning I started because I was tired of aerobics, steps and things like that and my gym opened a new kickboxing class so I tried....

Now I start to enjoy the value of a traditional martial art ( I switched to karate and Tai chi chuan) in terms of physical and mental developement.

Always wanted to do something with martial arts for self defense intially and now its something I want to focus on for enrichment as well as physical fitness. I also enjoy the historical aspect of martial arts such as the life and times of feudal japan. And after talking to some people here on the forum, namely Master Jules, my interest has skyrocketed and I'm ready to really delve deep into the MA

Slowly but surely

• 2 weeks later...

i want to learn something but i can't right now. but my inspiration - *hides* I'ma huge ninja turtles nut, plus watching demonstrations, i just watched an awesome sai video clip so I want to learn sai. I feel i need the study for the discipline and health benefits. I want to do what I never thought i can do.

not to mention the confidence building and knowing i can protect myself if needed....

Buslady of SoCal

Watching Action movies was my first reason,but as i got into it,it eventually turned into protecting myself and my loved ones.And there were times when i just wanted to fight.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

Watching Action movies was my first reason,but as i got into it,it eventually turned into protecting myself and my loved ones.And there were times when i just wanted to fight.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''