• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is Martial Arts?

^does that work for you^? any time my being in the martial arts is brought up, i just look like a big geek. on second thought, that might be because i am...

I find that funny, because I've heard it said a few times that jocks play football and soccer and baseball, while Geeks take Martial Arts. ;)

Martial Arts to me is pretty much the exact definition of the title. 'Martial' being the combative training with military roots, IE training with the goal of fighting in mind. And 'Arts', which is creative expression of who you are.

Martial Arts is the way I use "fighting" to express myself. Though the expression I choose can greatly change what that "fighting" may look like, and even change whether or not you would actually call it "fighting".

Yeah....something like that...

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"a geek is just someone who is passionate about something and not afraid to show it. "

oh, i know that. i know because it's printed on my official "geek of the month" certificate that i recieved in english last year. :P 8)

and believe me, i have no qualms about shouting out for the martial arts... or kurt vonnegut... right down to the effectiveness of mr. clean (they call it mr. proper in the czech republic! how cool is that!?!) i could go on, 'cuz i'm a big geek. :D

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

'Martial' being the combative training with military roots

just gonna do my usual of pointing out that

i) the term 'martial arts' is a western one that best approximates the original terms be it in chinese or japanese

and

ii) not all that is regarded as a 'martial art' has military roots (i'm not talking about its base inception, rather it's direct focus).

in my opinion, the word martial was prefered because the other suitable word, 'fighting', was deemed too base and 'lowly'....

remember, the term was coined in the 60/70s where anything eastern was regarded as magic and superior.

simply calling it 'fighting art' just doesn't seem right,

nor does it encourage families to bring their children.

when people talk in chinese about kung fu (as in fighting) and martial arts, they are often talking about very different things.

kung fu is talking about things such as mantis, shaolin, wing chun, chin na, breaking etc etc.

martial art is horseman-ship, field tactics, terrain studies, formations etc etc.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I know its cliched as heck but for a little while now it has been a way of life.

I honestly cant imagine not training nor can I remember what it was like before I trained (possibly not want too..).

I agree. Martial Arts is a way of life for me too. I'd hate it if I had to give up my MA training.

Yup, just like it would be hard to give up life..

Well, I'm only a white belt, but at this point I would define martial arts as "the art of fighting." (I do feel there's more to it than just fighting, hence why it's "the art of fighting" and not just "fighting." ^_^ Sort of like the art of cooking vs. throwing a hot dog in the microwave.)

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

• 4 weeks later...
I find that funny, because I've heard it said a few times that jocks play football and soccer and baseball, while Geeks take Martial Arts. ;)

Wap

Yay! I always knew I was a geek... :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

just gonna do my usual of pointing out that

i) the term 'martial arts' is a western one that best approximates the original terms be it in chinese or japanese

sure, but the original term was "fist art"

and

ii) not all that is regarded as a 'martial art' has military roots (i'm not talking about its base inception, rather it's direct focus).

because times have changed. at their inception, the focus was combat. Shaolin / india's influence and the incorporation of a spiritual aspect started that change. Arts that predated that - shuai chiao, pankration, etc. Don't have that.

sure, but the original term was "fist art"

but that term wasn't really applied to war applications (i.e fist arts were not war arts)

i've said before, i think a closer term for them as a whole isn't 'martial art' but 'fighting art'.

as you pointed out above, the original term was fist art

i.e the art of using your fists.

.....now i'm a little confused as to what i'm trying to say.....

as for actual martial aspects.

i mentioned that mainly as a base for my assertion that 'martial art' in not a good term to use as it is inaccurate.

you used the word 'combat'.

which at the level of the individual is 'fighting'.

again, this is why i prefere to use 'fighting art'.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

but that term wasn't really applied to war applications (i.e fist arts were not war arts)

same thing. bujutsu = warrior art, no? kyujutsu, kenjutsu, etc. all koryu arts...

as you pointed out above, the original term was fist art

i.e the art of using your fists.

that would still denote it as martial though. jujutsu was a koryu system as well. the japanese had jujutsu as their own. kempo was their translation of a chinese term - chuan fa. while it (kempo) was not a battlefield art, it was indeed martial.

.....now i'm a little confused as to what i'm trying to say.....

as am I.

as for actual martial aspects.

i mentioned that mainly as a base for my assertion that 'martial art' in not a good term to use as it is inaccurate.

how is it inaccurate?