• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez...where to begin.

Martial Arts are not JUST about fighting. Quite frankly, if you come to my school saying that you just wanna learn how to fight, I will probably turn you away. I am not in the business of training bullies or street thugs. Street thugs fight- martial artists protect themselves. They may HAVE to fight to do so, but there is a significant difference.

Martial Arts are also not JUST about defending yourself. If you really wanna feel safer, you buy a gun, learn how to use it and get liscenced to carry it.

The Martial Arts do encompass these things, but they are so much more. If you train in boxing you will learn how to fight, but you will not learn a way of life that teaches you to avoid violent situations, nor the humility to be able to walk away from an encounter. If you learn marksmanship with a handgun, you will be protected but you will not necessarily be self confident enough to appear less like a victim.

It all comes down to the question- are you a fighter who knows Martial Arts or are you a Martial Artist who knows how to fight??

shi wa hei to de aru

"All are equal in the grave"

I don't know what world everyone else is from, but here was mine:

Born and raised in Brooklyn, NY.

Survivor of the attacks on 9-11

Recipient of more than several mugging attempts. (only one got me. he pulled out a gun, after I floored him)

The target of bullies growing up, because I was small.

Basically, I was forced to become a good streetfigter. Most of the people of this country are from large cities. I think that they can relate.

In my training, and the training of my students, the most important thing is to be able to get out of or avoid a situation as quickly and safely as possible. In that itself, you are training to be proficient in self defense, and Street Situations. Not to duke it out with them. But again, to get out of the situation.

With that being established, fighting skills increase. You can learn self defense techniques, but better be able to follow through in case your opponent isn't finished off.

Yes, there is a mental, physical, and spiritual benefit from Martial Arts. But defending yourself is the priority. Everything else is secondary. If there is a DOJO that teaches self defense, or street fighting, while stressing to students how it is intended to be used ....sign up. Otherwise, you may want to consider Tai-Chi.

• 7 months later...

I don't know about you guys but I started Martial Arts for two reasons:

1. Having something to do when I come home from school instead of watch T.V.

2. My philsophy on fighting is, "It's better to know how to fight, and not need to, then need to and not know how." Which is used in various other topics..like having a gun and not needing it, then needing it and not have it, etc.

A New Age Dawns

I don't know about you guys but I started Martial Arts for two reasons:

1. Having something to do when I come home from school instead of watch T.V.

2. My philsophy on fighting is, "It's better to know how to fight, and not need to, then need to and not know how." Which is used in various other topics..like having a gun and not needing it, then needing it and not have it, etc.

You make a very good point here. I enjoyed the article, but I do disagree with some of the points. I know I signed up to learn how to defend myself. I don't normally start fights, but I will fight if I have to. And I will NOT, under any circumstances, if I feel threatened, wait for the first shot to be thrown. I'll go first, if I have to.

I'll go first, if I have to.

I hope you have an occupation where a criminal record is not a liability.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I'll go first, if I have to.

I hope you have an occupation where a criminal record is not a liability.

I am not a criminal, nor do I have a criminal record. I just don't think that if I feel physically threatened by someone, that I should have to wait for them to strike me.

Geez...where to begin.

Martial Arts are not JUST about fighting. Quite frankly, if you come to my school saying that you just wanna learn how to fight, I will probably turn you away. I am not in the business of training bullies or street thugs. Street thugs fight- martial artists protect themselves. They may HAVE to fight to do so, but there is a significant difference.

Martial Arts are also not JUST about defending yourself. If you really wanna feel safer, you buy a gun, learn how to use it and get liscenced to carry it.

The Martial Arts do encompass these things, but they are so much more. If you train in boxing you will learn how to fight, but you will not learn a way of life that teaches you to avoid violent situations, nor the humility to be able to walk away from an encounter. If you learn marksmanship with a handgun, you will be protected but you will not necessarily be self confident enough to appear less like a victim.

It all comes down to the question- are you a fighter who knows Martial Arts or are you a Martial Artist who knows how to fight??

I'm sorry, I don't believe that you sir, have trained hard enough to harness your own humility, otherwise you wouldn't be generalizing on one opinion. I train in San Soo, also known simply as Chinese Street Fighting. My art is based on the fact that someday, I may have to fight for my very life. Now just becuase I train in this art, doesn't mean that I cannot walk away from a potentially bloody situation, because I have and will any chance that I have in such a scenario. I HATE fighting, absolutely and utterly, but if I am forced to, I will do what ever I have to do to save my own life or even another.

Now just becuase I beleive in my art and it's philosophies, doesn't mean that I think it's the only way. The same art/method is not right for everyone and that's something everyone should understand. If you or anyone else is training as a martial artist by tournament fighting or what have you, more power to you! But maybe you should humble yourself and refrain from critisism on this topic.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad to see you pick up on this at the orange belt level, it really a very mature realization that karate will not turn you into great fighter. You'll

do OK.

I would like to ask though , isn't orange belt about the time that shotkan students begin to spar ? and if this mature attitude is in the face of impending

rubber coated doom.Then I still say you'll do OK.

any of us that tell you they don't have any fear are morons.its a scary thing and it gets scarier the farther you advance in rank .Getting used to that fear , is the thing and that does require some contact.

Hope it goes well

J.L.Mann

"All Karate begins and ends with Naihanchi"

-Kenstu Yabu

• 2 weeks later...