• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm turning into a Martial Arts Jerk! Please help me stop!

Good point Red, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. :wink:

Just kidding, Donkey. :)

~Erin

9th Kyu

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A-Hem. I would never admit to having the same problem, but I do like to get into things a little more than most. One thing that worked for me (until my partner took off again) was to find someone that likes to train as hard and get as much into it as you. Train and work together in class, and make a pact to shut up and learn there. Then take it outside class and really rip things apart and put them back together. You can help keep each other in check. Sort of a 'Know It Alls Unanimouse'... I mean 'Annonymouse' ( little Freudian slip there... :D ).

Freedom isn't free!

everything you say about other people, do it as a question. also, if you need to correct someone, just dont. try to smile to yourself because you know more than them- thats a fun thought isnt it?

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I totally agree with the posts here.

When I switched from TSD to TKD due to moving, I had this "dislike" for TKD (50% of TSD'ers are like that). Anyways, this is the school my boyfriend chose. He liked it so much, I joined with him. I hated it. I stayed for a year, though. I would say stuff like you do. You may find some of my gripes on here from year or so ago about this school.

Why was I like that? I was close-minded.

I attented another TKD school, which was a MDK school (like TSD). But I learned that that school was a McDojang. I learned cool stuff, but not properly (I had to work hard on my own to learn it right).

But guess where I went back to? The first TKD school. I am more open-minded and I am enjoying it a lot. I just work hard, learn, soak up info, and keep my trap shut. I have be-friended the ones that used to hate me. They realized that I have changed.

My point is that you need to go with an open mind. Drop the attitude and be willing to learn (or re-learn in your case). You just might learn some good stuff. You just need to give it time. I do wish you luck in your new school :)

Laurie F

Or you need to realize the school/style isn't for you and move on. I've walked into schools where i watched people, instructors as well as students, doing things incorrectly... or in a manner that wouldn't be as effective. My choices were to leave them to continue their mistakes, to correct them, or to leave. In most cases, i chose to talk to the instructors in private and discuss my findings. This, however, didn't always work too well... as egos exist on all sides of the fence.

If you find you're not learning, or you find the need to correct everyone, rather than focus on learning, and you can't find the zipper to your lips, then step back, step out, and either sit it out or find another school.

As to the humbling part, i agree that you need to find a school, or an instructor, that impresses you... that causes you to respect him outright. Humility doesn't necessarily mean being 'humiliated in public.' It means finding a point at which your skills are lacking, and someone else's skills excel, then to have the humility to request to learn from them.

So... basically, it sounds to me like you don't respect this school, the students, or the instructors. Determine why you don't respect them... and then make an 'informed' decision.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Way I see it you have too choices, either work to change this aspect of your character or like it has been suggested, find some one to kick you around a bit until you re-find that humility which I think everyone needs to be able to learn efectively.

I encountered a similar problem without changing styles.

i can only speak in reference to experiences ive had..but far as im concerned when i trained in the dojo, i didnt speak at all..i just kept my mouth shut and concentrated on what i was trying to learn...ive never been an extrovertive, outgoing person to begin with so running my mouth was not really something i did...i just would stand back and observe people...although a few people took that as me being a snob, and i thought that i was better than everyone eles...so sometimes it don't matter what ya do...i my opinion i believe it would work out for you better if you kept quiet, and just trained...you'll gain more respect that way...no one respects a "bigmouth"

The fact that your noticing these changes are great for you development. Deciding what you will do about it is all yours. I say let the Instructors do thier job and use that energy you have to benifit your own goals.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

Thanks guys, I've been humbled :o One of my good buddies told me Iwas being a jerk so I shut up and I'm trying to keep it shut. Also I'm out of shape so u really can't be king if your coughing up a lung :(

Donkey