• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question regarding Karate grading/ranks

DLopez

I practice a Korean martial art, so sorry if this sounds too simple to be asked, but I just want to make sure I understand what I read on here.

Does 'Dan' equate to level of black belt? So say a 1st Dan would be a 1st degree black belt, 2nd Dan is a 2nd degree black belt? Or does it mean something else?

In my Korean martial art, we have specific names we give each degree of black belt - 1st degree = Jo Kyo Nim, 2nd degree = Kyo Sa Nim, 3rd degree = Pu Sa Bum Nim, 4th degree = Sa Bum Nim,... and so forth.

Just trying to understand the grading system in Japanese MA's.

TIA!

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's one way of saying it Dlopez, but the Japanese system uses Shodan = 1st degree or 1st Dan, Nidan = 2nd degree or 2nd Dan, Sandan = 3rd degree or 3rd Dan and so on. Not much different in the ranking just the terminology I think.

:)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Yes, Dan = karate blackbelt level.

Shodan Ho is a grading used in some styles and associations as like an intermediary grade between 1st Kyu and 1st Dan.

Just as there are specific names for each dan grade level (Shodan, Nidan, Sandan, Yondan, Godan, Rokudan etc etc) there are also specific names for kyu grades, although these tend to be less commonly used. For example hachikyu is 8th kyu grade, which in my association is red belt.

Dean, are the grade names that you mentioned specific to Kuk Sool Won, or are they common thoughout all Korean martial arts? I've heard of 1st degree Korean stylist blackbelts being referred to as Chodan - is this mainly a TKD term, or is it interchangable with Jo Kyo Nim?

Thanks.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

aefibird,

Many Korean styles use both, and they mean different things... Here's how it works in our system:

Cho Dan Bo (Sho Dan Ho): Jo Kyo - Instructor Trainee

Cho Dan: Boo Kyo Sa Nim - Class instructor

Ee Dan: Kyo Sa Nim - Head Instructor

Sam Dan: Boo Sah Bum Nim - Chief Instructor

Sa Dan: Sah Bum Nim - Master Instructor

etc.. O, Yuk, Chil, Pahl, Koo Dan (traditionally no 10th dan in TSD)

Usually these correspond to Cho Dan, Ee Dan, Sam Dan, Sah Dan, etc. But not necessarily so. An Ee Dan with little teaching experience may only be, at best, a Jo Kyo.

So in my particular style, the "nims" are instructor rankings, and the "dans" refer to the stripes on your belt. Can't speak for Kuk Sool Won, but I think this is fairly standard.

To pick a nit, I believe Dan more accurately refers to "level" than "degree" but I'll leave that to the linguists. That's why an Ee Dan Ahp Cha Ki (Nidan geri) is a 2 level kick and not a 2 degree kick... :)

I'll ask a Korean expert I know to clear that one up.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Aefibird, to my knowledge, Tommarker is pretty much correct.

The term Jo Kyo Nim, for example, doesn't literally mean "1st degree blackbelt", rather it refers to a "title" of instructor bestowed upon someone that has achieved that rank. "Nim" roughly means "instructor" or "teacher" in Korean.

But it's also pretty synonymous with the ranking since each black belt level gets a new title, at least until the Master level.

These are the titles bestowed upon the particular black belt level in KSW:

Black-Brown belt = Dahn Boh Nim (Black belt candidate)

1st degree = Jo Kyo Nim (Instructor-in-Training)

2nd degree = Kyo Sa Nim (Assistant Instructor)

3rd degree = Pu Sa Bum Nim (Deputy Instructor)

4th degree = Sa Bum Nim (Instructor)

5th, 6th, 7th, 8th degree = Kwahn Jahng Nim (Master)

9th = Chohng Kwahn Jahng Nim (Chiefmaster)

and ultimately 10th = Kuk Sa Nim, or National Martial Arts Teacher (our Grandmaster).

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Thanks.

There are different titles relating to instructors in Karate too, such as Sensei and Shihan. The different titles refer to what Dan grade the person holds.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

In Korean, the term KyoSa Nim could also be used for a college professor. It simply means, "Teacher," but also refers to the level of the teacher.

Kwan Jang Nim means, "Director,sir" not necessarily "Master." A branch school director is called, "Jee Kwan Jang Nim." "Master" is "Ghosa Nim."

"Dan" means "Step" and is also used in Korean martial art terminology for black belt ranks. Just substitute the appropriate Korean number before the word "Dan."

Korean counting for Dan ranks:

Cho (used instead of "Il")

Yi

Sam

Sa

Oh

Yuk

Chil

Pal

Ku

Sip

• 4 weeks later...

i learn the same system as tommaker but i was wondering should i mix my martial arts or if i just focus on tang soo do i can achieve more from it

"learning a martial art is like tuning a string instrument. tune the strings too hard and they will snap tune them too little and it will not play but tune it right and you will have music for a lifetime"-anonomous