• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju-Ryu

plainwhitets

I have been studying Okinawan Goju-Ryu Karate-do since 1991. I find it a straight forward and simple style to learn.

As you may or may not know Goju-Ryu was created by Chojun Miyagi, Sensei back in the 1930's. Goju-Ryu means Hard-soft style. It's influences are Naha-te (hard) and Chinese Boxing. Goju-Ryu is also a very circular style as opposed to the very linear Shotokan.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a chance to study goju ryu especially okinawan goju ryu do it is a fantastic art with all the secrets of chinese wushu but with straight forward effective techniques. it teaches toughness but incorperates the ability to be yeilding in the face of a storm. I could on but it would stop my Sanchin trainning, remember breathe into the tanden....................................... !

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

i am a brown in goju ryu and i have some things to add. chojun miyagi traveled to china and studied shaolin in order to develop the style, you will find some similar moves. think of goju ryu as a hybrid of martial arts; strong powerful moves and slow flowing moves mixed into one art. while beggining goju it will most likley start off slow with mostly powerful moves when you gain in the rank you are introduced into more finese.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

Yes, thats true......Chojun Miyagi did travel to Fukien province of China to seek out Ryu Ryu Ko, who was Kanryo Higashionna's teacher (Miyagi's teacher)....Goju Ryu has direct attatchment to the White Crane system of kung fu, as well as elements of shaolin chin na (seizing and grabbing techniques), and Pakua....not to mention the endless Chi Gung breathing excercises that many schools DONT teach.....In fact, if you see the "real" version of the White Crane kata....also known as Hakutsuru in japanese.....you will see key elements of just about EVERY Goju Ryu kata.....needless to say....the form is VERY long.......think of going through Pechurin (Superempai) 3 times in a row.......Miyagi's leading students founded there own "branches" of Goju Ryu on Okinawa.....the main dojos were Jundokan, under Miyazato, Shoreikan, under Toguchi, Shobukan, under Shinjo, Meibukan, under Yagi.........Some of these students were able to get "more" from Miyagi than others, one example would be Toguchi......being half Chinese, half Okinawan, he was able to understand all of the Chinese terminology which was used to describe the suptle intricacies of GoJu.....even though GoJu means, "hard/soft"....its not about being "all hard"....or "all soft".....its about being hard and soft....AT THE SAME TIME.....a continued brief history of where GoJu Ryu went from there.....Yamaguchi, of Japan, studied somewhat sporadically with Miyagi for about 12 years on and off.....he went back to Japan and founded "Japanese GoJu Ryu".....which has MANY differences, including changes to many of the kata, as well as different bunkai applications......One of Yamaguchi's students was a UDT/SEAL member named Peter Urban.....after reaching the rank of 5th Dan, and being told by Yamaguchi that he would never be promoted higher since he was an american.....Urban left Japan , came home to the USA, and founded what became known as USA/URBAN GoJu Ryu......in turn, two of Urban's top students, Frank Ruiz and Ron Taganashi "broke away" from Urban's organization founded his own system called "Nisei GoJu"....which, ironically, means "second generation".....then, a further "offshoot", is Ron Van Cleif's system called "Chinese GoJu"......thats a lil GoJu history for ya in terms of lineage and stuff.....if youre gonna chose GoJu Ryu as a style to study.....do your self a big favor.....stick with the original....traditional Okinawan GoJu Ryu.....I have seen many systems in my years in.....and Ive even got sensei rank in the USA system as well.......but my master rank is in OKINAWAN......GoJu is one of the most complete fighting systems there is....if you have a good teacher.

"I may be a trained killer....but Im really a nice guy" ;-)

~Master Jules, aka "The Sandman"

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Goju Ryu is a very complex and complete fighting system.....I would be more than happy to discuss it at length with you, if youre interested. A "description" of GoJu Ryu would be a VERY lengthly one, and i wouldnt want to bore anyone with an unbelieveably long post......please feel free to contact me through private email, and we can discuss GoJu in detail.

~Master Jules

Hi Master Jules - as you can see I'm new to the whole MA thing but right now I am learning Goju, maybe we can talk because I would like to know more about it as well. Thanks!

Slowly but surely

Shorin-Ryuu, if you reffering to sanchin and tensho

I was told even in okinawa they don't practice them with %100 power because of health issues, I practice sanchin and i have got very good results ( change in metabulism) but i normally go with %60-%70 power for 2-3 times in a short intervals.

Most all Goju masters (I believe there is one or two exceptions) have died very early deaths (60s) whereas other, more softer styles, the typical age is 80+.

At any rate, I find it interesting that Chojun Miyagi's style is so much more harder than that of his teacher Higashionna, whose teachings were incredibly light and more soft.

Many teachers on Okinawa warn against, as you said, Sanchin as there are many high blood pressure related illnesses and premature death that can result.

When blocking, the thumb side of the fist is forced sideways towards the forearm, causing pressure to be exerted on a vital point at the side of the wrist. This may result in various lung complications.

Forceful closing of the anal sphincter is practiced and may caused haemorrhoids if practice much too hard. Indeed, Higashionna in his early training in China once peed blood due to his overtraining.

Perhaps the most reliable health detriment is the fact that certain blood vessels are shut off at the limb joint and blood is unable to flow freely and correctly. This causes strain on the heart, blood vessels and internal organs.

Now you said, if people don't practice them quite as hard, I suppose that might be a way to mitigate its effects...

At any rate, the fact that the following, who are clearly recognized masters, died so much earlier due to health problems than their counterparts in other styles is undisputable:

Kanryo Higashionna, age 63

Chojun Miyagi, age 65

Seiko Higa, age 68

There are more, but there names did not stick out at me...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/