plainwhitets

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never done GoJu but Shotokan was developed from it. Yes your pretty much correct. From what I understand its very rough training. A lot of conditioning done to the body. Very powerful style. Good luck and good choice.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I study it.

I only started 10/11 weeks ago and it's my only experience of martial arts so I can't compare it to other styles all I can do is tell you my impressions of it.

We learn a lot of self defence, locks, pressure points, things like that. Body conditioning is recommended and I think the higher grades do it but I have yet to try it. There is a seperate class for it, although basics like press ups on your knuckles on hard gym floors is common.

Sanchin is very important. We practice the kata and the stance every time we train. The breathing is very important but the whole kata takes years to learn.

Because I am still a white belt I don't know much about the advance techniques but I have really enjoyed my training so far. I highly recommend it.

can anyone who studies goju-ryu tell me a little bit about it. Like I've read that it incorporates basically everthing, kicks, strikes, hard/soft, linear/circular movements, is this true?

Yer what you heard is true.. it gives also enphasis on conditioning and appropriate breathing, the kata Sanchin is a powerful breathing exercise.

I practice it since short time (Yellow belt) but I like it a lot! :karate:

Goju Ryu is an excellent style for self defense. I find it more so than Tae Kwon Do or Shotokan.

It does depend upon the club and the instructor, though....

There are good and bad instructors in every style.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Goju Ryu is a very complex and complete fighting system.....I would be more than happy to discuss it at length with you, if youre interested. A "description" of GoJu Ryu would be a VERY lengthly one, and i wouldnt want to bore anyone with an unbelieveably long post......please feel free to contact me through private email, and we can discuss GoJu in detail.

~Master Jules

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

if one day I quit Shorin-ryu I will go with GoJu-Ryu

for sure, as far as kicking/punching/linear/circular... , I would say all the karate styles originated from Okinawa are almost same. Funakoshi(shuri-te/tomari-te) believed GoJu-ryu is more suited for bigger people VS. Shorin-ryu for Smaller men or women. Nagamine(shuri-te) was not agree. Any way if you have a opportunity to practice GoJo go for it.