• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few Misc. Questions.

Coco

As I have been finding new ways to exersice and lose weight, lots of questions have aroused, so I have decided to start a post about it in search of some answers.

1. When doing stairs, is it better to go by 2's or one by one? (one by one seems a little too small as I am not used to going 1 by one and my stairs are pretty small, its also harder to go faster when 1 by 1)

2.Diet coke, any better? (people have told me to stop drinking coke and drink water, but i have noticed diet coke has 0 calories and 0 sugar, so, is it any better then drinking coke?[i know nothings better then whater though])

3.Red bull energy drink - shall I? (Some people also have told me to try some vitamins while I get back in shape so it gives me some energy and im not soo tired at karate, I bought 50 red bulls but im not sure if i should use them before every karate class, anyone got any info on this topic?)

4.5-5-5-5 , 10-10 or 20? (Do you think doing 5-5-5-5 pushups or situps , 10-10 or 20 at a time would be best? Would all 3 be as effective as the other? Which one would be the most effective?

5.Does gatorade really re-hydrate you better? Is it better to drink gatorade than water?

6.Which help your strength the best, weights or pushups?

Those are all of which I can think of at the moment, but more will probably come soon. Also, when answering id reccomend reading my story post, to keep some things in mind.

I have to go get ready for karate class now, ill check up on the post later.

Edited by Coco

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hmm...a fitness and health question.

1. Go by twos.

2. Drink diet coke if you want, as it won't significantly hamper your work out, but it won't provide any vitamins and might slow you down. Some people with weight problems give up cola period and that's just fine.

3. I drink Red Bull and the caffeine will give you a boost so why not? Just don't live off the stuff, drink no more than 5 a week. :)

If your enemy refuses to be humbled......you must destroy him.

Stairs - go in two's.

Switch to water completely if you can. Diet coke has sweeteners in it which can cause problems for asthma sufferers & those with chest problems. Artificial Sweeteners have also been linked with some cancers, although the evidence is not conclusive. However, Diet is better than normal Coke, as you're not taking in all that sugar.

Red Bull - good in small doses. Don't drink if you have heart problems, as caffeine can affect it.

Start with 5-5-5-5-5, move up to 10-10 and then onto 20's.

Good luck with the training/fitness regime! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

you be the judge............

Here's some informative facts:

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so

weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's

metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger

pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a

University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses

of water a day could significantly ease back and

joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzz

short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and

difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a

printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the

risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the

risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less

likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol

carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove

blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and

it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into

the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one

hour, then flush cl! ean. The citric acid in Coke

removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub

the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap

aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals:

Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble

away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked

in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into

the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and

bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished,

remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix

with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke

into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run

through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help

loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid.

Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones

and is a major contributor to the rising increase in

osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the

commercial truck must use the Hazardous material

place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to

clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass

of water?

Holy! where do you get all this info!? Anyways, ill probably switch to water completely, also, I added one more question, so check it out :D

aefibird - Somehow since I changed to diet coke, I misteriously started coughting alot at karate. Noone knew why but it just happened, I didnt even know what had triggered it, but I read what you said, and it just came to me that since I started changing to diet coke I started caughing alot! I also have some asthma background so that may be it!

Thanks for all the help so far its helping tons!

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Slick is right. This is more the Health and fitness section.

Anyway, I agree with the water part. I used to drink a lot of soda, but I drink only fitness water, green tea, and water (except for my beer binge on saturdays, and my coffee in the AM :D ).

Laurie F

1. When doing stairs, is it better to go by 2's or one by one? (one by one seems a little too small as I am not used to going 1 by one and my stairs are pretty small, its also harder to go faster when 1 by 1)

If you can handle two at a time, do it. Just be careful to not overwork your knees.

2.Diet coke, any better? (people have told me to stop drinking coke and drink water, but i have noticed diet coke has 0 calories and 0 sugar, so, is it any better then drinking coke?[i know nothings better then whater though])

One thing not mentioned, Diet Coke has a lot of Sodium in it, therefore it really won't quench your thirst, but make you more thirsty - so you'll drink more Diet Coke they hope!

3.Red bull energy drink - shall I? (Some people also have told me to try some vitamins while I get back in shape so it gives me some energy and im not soo tired at karate, I bought 50 red bulls but im not sure if i should use them before every karate class, anyone got any info on this topic?)

Dunno about Red Bull, but vitamins do not give you energy. Food gives you energy. Vitamins are not a food substitute. They aid in your body's ability to digest and break down food at the cellular level. Taking vitamins without any food will yield little benefit, and often makes you sick to your stomach.

4.5-5-5-5 , 10-10 or 20? (Do you think doing 5-5-5-5 pushups or situps , 10-10 or 20 at a time would be best? Would all 3 be as effective as the other? Which one would be the most effective?

Try the lesser. If it doesn't feel like a workout, do the more. If those don't feel like a workout, increase reps as well as sets.

5.Does gatorade really re-hydrate you better? Is it better to drink gatorade than water?

The difference is minimal really. I drink Gatorade not because it's better than water, but just because I like the taste. The key is to just stay hydrated.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

actually i was just reading an article in one of my magazines, but now i cant remember which it is.

It was rating different drinks on a scale from 1-5 for how well the hydrate you.

water being 4

and the gatorade line of drinks being a 5.

the thing it said about the gatorade drinks was that they were best used before or during workouts and not after.

It also said something about the prime range of carbs per ounces... ill see if i can find it.

the one thing about red bull, or the other type of ephedrine/guarana/taurine/etc.. i cant remember all the types is that they elevate your heart rate and your blood pressure.

One of the major reasons ephedrine was banned in the USA was because of how dangerous this was/is.

I take them usually only when i want to stay up and not as an energy drink per say, as i tend to get kind of wired off of them

i dunno bout the stairs, diets better but waters the best, and forget pushups do weights.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

1. You can do 2. The idea is to move and stop using the elevator.

2. Leave Coke forever. I used to drink it until I realised I HAD to drink it everyday to avoid being sick. I suddenly stopped and for a week I was miserable. Afterwards I felt better and had a glass or two very rarely.

3. I wouldn't go for energy drinks either. I don't drink coffee at all and I think I should have my own pace, not one induced by all kinds of drinks and ingredients. I laugh at my coleagues when I see them in the morning drinking their coffee in order to be able to cope with the new day. Do you want to be OK and have efficiency? Eat healty and REST. After a good night sleep you'll be able to move mountains :)

4. The sets were designed to help you start the thing. You can find your own pace. The idea is to look for CONSTANT EFFORT, NEVER OVERTRAIN and injure and IMPROVE your records. Do as you feel like, but have the 3 things in mind.

5. Have no idea about this Gatorade, so I can't help on this