• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Block for a Backfist Strike

solar_kid

Hi all,

I've been practicing one-step sparring and I seem to be confused on effective ways to block a backfist strike to the temple during ippon kumite.

My first thought was to use rising block, but that drew unfavorable comments from sensei. :) But, he didn't tell me what block would be effective.

After that, I used an outside forearm block, but I think I kept doing it on the wrong side.

Thoughts?

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

my choice would be the flinch response from the start of kanku-dai folowed by a knife hand or forearm strike counterattack

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

To block the strike from making contact use your palm.

I often slap down an opponents guard and come in with a fast backfist, using the palm is the best method of defense ive come accross yet. If they are aiming for the,left side of your head then use your right hand to block.

Almost any block other than a riseing or upward will generally work. And even that will work for something like a vertical backfist if you change the plane the block delivers in. What you use will mostly depend on your relative positioning and the type backfist he uses. It is usually easy to get to the outside of a backfist and block inward. As your skills and timeing improve, you can slip inside some backfists and parry out, sort of like GrrrArg was talking about (I think). If he chambers the strike (really stupid thing to do, but some do it), do a pressing check to pin it back before he launches and pretty much counter as you want. If it is a spinning backfist (done properly a very powerful, effective, and very deceptive strike), you may be able to jam the attack by moving in and checking hard at his base and shoulder. I tried ducking one of these once- I don't even remember the trip to the floor! :roll: Now I either jam it or put up a universal block and move. Backfists tend to retract quickly, but it is possible to trap one from a universal type block. Just play with it a while and you'll figure it out. Backfists are fun to work from both offensive and defensive standpoints. And they are really effective when you learn to set them up and use them correctly. They're also a good thing to learn to defend, as done by a skilled opponent they are dangerouse. Good luck!

Freedom isn't free!

Snap kick them to the male reproductive organ :)

If you have enough time, try to step out of the way while you are blocking.

If you miss the block, your head won't be there to get hit. Fastest thing is to block w/ hand. Find a partner and try running through some drills, same attack, and see what one works best. You'll then see why some work and some do not.

delta1 explained it very well , in a street situation a vertical backfist is very dangrous( like in Naihanchi but you slid in)

I think it's better not to block it (you may try to stop it by palm) at all instead try to shift your body,

in point karate a back fist is more like a back hand

slap which should be block by palm. if they fully chamber then can try a 45 degree in shift and block which can give you a chance to arm lock or a elbow joint attackt ,if you are fast enough then ram

into the chamber at elbow and shoulder. back fist is a very interesting and important topic.

Vertical backfist? Never seen one of them in Karate?

For the usual type of Ura-ken I find that Teisho-uke (or palm slap block) works best. Its fast and efficient as takes no effort. Aim the block at the thick part of his forearm about a fists width from the elbow. Slap with a relaxed hand but with a tight pam with your fingers held in, and follow through don't just block; PARRY! Kncok the incoming fist away and downwards if possible, but don't swing you arm in an arm just whip it across.

Hope that helps ^__^

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

umm this is kinda obvious i would think.

how many blocks have you been taught?

you are going to use either an upward block, an outward block, an inward block, or an extended block.

the key to remember is when you block leave yourself with an opening to attack and use the block to close off your opponents attack.

I have a real issue with your instructor telling you that the block you were using wasnt right and then not telling you why or what to do instead.

Instead of asking what kind of block to use, you might want to ask if your at the right school.

My advice would be to use an Age-Gashi-Uke I think that is what it is called.

The outside Forearm block is the most effective Block for Strikes coming to the head. It may take a while to master but it is really the best way.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

I would use prob. a upper leval knife hand block or some sort of palm pressing block.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."