• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forms, Kata, Sets, Techniques

This is more for more advanced practitioners, when working on your forms, kata, Do you prefer practicing alone?

Do you like a senior student or instructor watch ?

Do you video tape yourself so you can see your technique,(s) ?

Do you listen to music or other (meditaion sounds, etc) ?

Do you pratice inside or outside ? ( I practice inside only on a level floor, it's rare if I practice outside)

Do you practice on a wood floor, inside carpet, tile.....?

What type of shoe sole do you prefer ? (cotton, sports sneaker, others..)

Do you prefer it quite so you can listen to your breathe ? ( In the forms I practice the are exact times to breathe-in and breathe-out)

Do you study (read) so as to have a good understanding of aplications, fundamentals ?

Do you mentally visualise the aplications when practicing forms, kata, etc.. ?

These are many questions that I am sure will get lengthy replys, but it is for the discussion specifically for forms, kata, sets, etc...(whichever word applies to your style)

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you prefer practicing alone?

Well, I can't really say that I prefer it, but I do practice a lot alone at home.

If I'm in class, then, yes. They can point out to me my errors or things I need to work on or give me encouragement or whatever. When working at home (or if I'm in the dojo training before or after class) I prefer it if no-one is around.

Do you video tape yourself so you can see your technique,(s)?

No, but basically that's only because I don't own a video camera. I wouldn't really want to watch it if I did tape myself, though, - I hate looking at still photo's of me, never mind a moving image. However, I can see that it would be a useful tool for learning and improvement.

Do you listen to music or other (meditaion sounds, etc)?

Not when working on kata, but I sometimes stick a CD on when doing bag work.

Do you pratice inside or outside ? ( I practice inside only on a level floor, it's rare if I practice outside)

Inside at the dojo, both inside and outside at home.

Inside at the dojo is wooden flooring, inside at home is carpet. Outside at home is paving flags.

I don't tend to wear shoes when practicing kata, unless I'm outside. If I train outside I wear rubber soled trainers(sneakers) or martial arts shoes.

Do you prefer it quite so you can listen to your breathe ? ( In the forms I practice the are exact times to breathe-in and breathe-out)

I usually train so I can hear myself breathe when performing most kata.

Do you study (read) so as to have a good understanding of applications, fundamentals ?

Absolutely!

I think that it is vital to gain as much knowledge and info as possible about your martial art. I have a large collection of books about karate and aikido and I often spend time working things out in my head and trying to figure stuff out for myself, without consulting a book or Sensei.

Do you mentally visualise the applications when practicing forms, kata, etc.. ?

I try to. I think it is important for people to practice forms as if they were doing those techniques against another person. A martial artist who practices forms/kata has to imagine actually doing that technique against an opponent - and also imagine what the outcome would be.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Do you prefer practicing alone?

Do you video tape yourself so you can see your technique,(s) ?

Do you listen to music or other (meditaion sounds, etc) ?

Do you study (read) so as to have a good understanding of aplications, fundamentals ?

Do you mentally visualise the aplications when practicing forms, kata, etc.. ?

- depends. I like to work with others and even teach them. Sometimes I just need some time alone to focus on my own problems :)

- I preffer having the watch sometimes in order to correct me and give further hints. Afterwards I'll go alone again.

- I'd like to videotape myself. As soon as I have a camera I'll do it.

- I find music to be distracting and I really hate it even if it's for warm up. I listen to music in a "proffesional" way since I'm a radio DJ. When I do Karate I want SILENCE :)

- inside and outside, whenever I have the opportunity.

- and all sorts of covers .. floor, carpet, cement .. I preffer wooden floors.

- I practice barefoot when indoors .. outside I use some sport shoes in order to avoid injuries on the soles of the feet.

- I breath a little more accentuated but still naturally

- I'm a reading freak and like to know everything.

- visualisation is important though quite difficult at lower levels. I remember I taught a girl Taikyoku Shodan because she just coudn't figure out how to turn after the first 2 steps. I just stood near and mimicked an attack with the foot. (mae geri) touching here lightly and asking here to figure out how to escape from this situation. I would keep the leg extended and she tried to block. She soon saw how to turn (she used to the other way, being always vulnerable to this certain technique). After few repetitions I told her .. "now think I'm there. Block me." And she did it. In 5 minutes she learnt what she couldn't in 3 weeks of kata training. After she understood and visualized it all happened suddenly.

That's why you need a good teacher :D

1-Do you prefer practicing alone?

2-Do you like a senior student or instructor watch ?

3-Do you video tape yourself so you can see your technique,(s) ?

4-Do you listen to music or other (meditaion sounds, etc) ?

5-Do you pratice inside or outside ?

6-Do you practice on a wood floor, inside carpet, tile.....?

7-What type of shoe sole do you prefer ? (cotton, sports sneaker, others..)

8-Do you prefer it quite so you can listen to your breathe ? ( In the forms I practice the are exact times to breathe-in and breathe-out)

9-Do you study (read) so as to have a good understanding of aplications, fundamentals ?

10-Do you mentally visualise the aplications when practicing forms, kata, etc.. ?

1-No... It's always fun to practice with your friends... :)

2-I prefer to do this with my instructor watching, since I'm no perfect

3-I would like, but there no way...

4-No... I think that it can distract me... :P

5-I prefer to practice anywhere where anyone who don't practice karate is

6-I practice in a stoned stone floor... It's pretty cold... :P

7-Just sneakers... :P

8-I don't breathe in exact time, since I'm a begginer, so for me it doesn't matter to hear my breathe, but I prefer to train in a quiet place...

9-I've already read somethings about karate and Master Funakoshi, but not so much...

10-... Not exactly... I just do it by how I've learned... :)