• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the best Martial Art for you and why?

Why did I choose the MA that I am in...?

Good question!

I chose shotokan karate because I liked the history, the discipline, and the people who were teaching it. I love to be in shotokan karate. I have tried TKD, didn't like it, I didn't feel challenged enough, mentally, physically, or mentally. I don't know why. I can't really explain it. But, about 2 1/2 years ago I started BJJ. I love it more then karate. Although I would have never joined BJJ if it was not for Shotokan Karate.

Thanks!

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I forgot the "why I chose my MA" thing. TSD was easy. What they taught is what I wanted (self defense, including boxing, Thai boxing, and Hapkido on top of TSD).

When I moved, I joined this school not because it was TKD, but because they taught self defense, and mental side of MA (I'm getting more into the mental side). It's not your typical TKD sport dojang (thank God!). They include Chin Na, boxing, ect. Pretty impressive (sp?) place I might add :D

Laurie F

In MY opinion-yes, MY opinion. I am saying my opinion because people sometimes seem to get offended when you express your opinion because they seeem to think you are voicing lots of other peoples thoughts and are going against their opinion. It is only my opinion.

I'm offended by this remark. :brow:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

The Best Martial Art is subjective so I would say the best MA is the one that you enjoy and fulfills your personal needs the most. That's all that really matters anyway. You won't be good at MA's if you are not enjoying yourself.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I have taken some time to think about this question, I certainly do not want to trash talk or say my style is the best. I think we are all looking for honest answers from everyones own opinion. So please don't throw to many tomatoes at me :D , I'll comment on styles I've seen, here goes:

Aikido (a way to fight without fighting, awsome jointlocks and throws)=Morihei Ueshiba

Brazilian Jui-Jitsu (rules the ground!, chokes, holds, locks and joint manipulations)=Carlos Gracie and Family

Jujutsu (close combat experts!)=much thanks to Japan!

Kendo(if I see a shinai, I out of there!)

Muay Thai(I guarantee someone's getting knoked out!)

Ninjutsu(they do their homework)=Toshitsugu Takamatsu

Shudokan( I haven't meet a black belt yet that could not hold their ground!)

Choy-Li-Fut(Wushu on steroids!) :D

There are so many more that I have not seen, but there they are in my opinion.[/b]

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

...wing chun....

kicks choy-li-fut behind.....

or is it the other way around.

hmm, depends on who you ask i guess....

:brow:

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I am glad to see I got a lot of agreements when people said they like Shotokan Karate aswell thank you.

White Warlock, I didn't mean to offend you.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

The Best Martial Art is subjective so I would say the best MA is the one that you enjoy and fulfills your personal needs the most. That's all that really matters anyway. You won't be good at MA's if you are not enjoying yourself.

I fully agree with it. I started doing martial art with kickboxing, I liked at the beginning but if you do not enter into competitions ( I'm too old for that) you better do something else.. I tried karate (Go-ju ryu) and I like it very much, I also do Tai chi chuan it is a great exercise and a good complement for any other martial art and you can do it at any age (especially if you started it when you were not so old).