• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

weak karate students?????

luke_f34

We do weight training for over 16's at my dojo. It isn't compulsory, but most of the adult dojo members train with weights.

Firstly, it's free (and free training is always good ;)), and secondly, because new members see how much weight training affects the skill level of the other members, it gives them something to aspire to and it encourages them to also work out with weights.

Sensei encourages everyone to use the excercise equipment that we have at the dojo. Children are allowed to use the excercise bikes, resistance bands, stepper and gym balls, whilst the over 16's can use the free weights as well as all the other equipment.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do weight training for over 16's at my dojo. It isn't compulsory, but most of the adult dojo members train with weights.

Firstly, it's free (and free training is always good ;)), and secondly, because new members see how much weight training affects the skill level of the other members, it gives them something to aspire to and it encourages them to also work out with weights.

Sensei encourages everyone to use the excercise equipment that we have at the dojo. Children are allowed to use the excercise bikes, resistance bands, stepper and gym balls, whilst the over 16's can use the free weights as well as all the other equipment.

All that equipment sounds expensive. Your lucky your dojo can afford that much. We have to fit 30 students sometime into our small church hall which is rented out :bawling:

I am afraid that many people are out of shape now days. It is good that these people are using martial arts as some type of workout though.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

However most of those out of shape people have poor diets. My obese friend started karate to lose weight. Yet after every lesson he has a big fat greasy chicken meal and a pepsi. When I ask him why. He says he can't be asked.

Edited by Chirath

• 1 month later...

im about 20 pounds overweight due to two surgeries (going on a third)...but still can go the whole class plus spar full go for about 45 minutes at the end of the day.....bad for me but good for everyone else. Guess it depends on your perspective.

whoop, gotta' make a correction, we're no longer the obesity capital of the world; mississippi beat us out. i don't even think we're second anymore. i don't know whether to be happy we're getting healthier or sad that we lost our title...

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

I got out of the Marines last year courtesy of 2 bad discs. Unfortunatly I used that as an excuse to pretty much avoid all exercise. Boy did I get lazy. I was 6'2 195 or so and I have recently hit 225.

I actually had my first class tonight (World Oyama) and it kicked my *. My stamina was so poor I was almost embarrased. BUT I gave it 110% and tomorrow, I am going to do the same. I can't wait to start seeing the results in a few months.

Being fat can happen to anyone for any number of reasons, but how we approach dealing with this is what makes the difference.

don't know if anything like this has been mentioned before, but I used to wrestle in jr. high, and have been doing jiu jitsu for six months, and i've met a bunch of guys who are clearly overweight, and couldn't run for very long at all, with the beer gut and everything, but are also some of the strongest guys i've sparred with. Let's not overlook nfl linemen either. You might be really overweight, but strong and powerful also.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I got out of the Marines last year courtesy of 2 bad discs. Unfortunatly I used that as an excuse to pretty much avoid all exercise. Boy did I get lazy. I was 6'2 195 or so and I have recently hit 225.

I actually had my first class tonight (World Oyama) and it kicked my *. My stamina was so poor I was almost embarrased. BUT I gave it 110% and tomorrow, I am going to do the same. I can't wait to start seeing the results in a few months.

Being fat can happen to anyone for any number of reasons, but how we approach dealing with this is what makes the difference.

I think you have the right attitude... and from the karate style you choose I think you started to tackle the problem in the HARD WAY :karate: