• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

question for black belts

luke_f34

im a yellow belt(about to be advanced to green) training in hon shin do and I want to get my black belt before i get out of high school. i have 4 years to do it. is it too quick or can it be accomplished and still learn the art very well?

:-? :-? :-? :-?

God grant me the sirenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yellow Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There's no real way anyone can tell you. Maybe you'll get it, maybe you won't. I've known plenty of people who have earned a black belt in 4 years or less, and plenty who have not.

Most of it will actually be up to you....

Th rest is a matter of your instructor's assessment of your ability, the curriculum of your school, etc....

Something to keep in mind though, being a black belt isn't really an indicator that you have learned the art "very well", merely that you have learned the BASICS very well....there's a lot more to learn after black belt, which is where the learning really begins, rather than ending...

thanks i am a very fast learner, so if you have know people who received their black im that time im sure i can do it. what i mean by "very well" is to have a strong, solid foundation and knowledge of the basics

God grant me the sirenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Yellow Belt

let me ask you a question.

Why do you want to get your black belt before you graduate high school?

if there is a valid reason and you discuss it with your instructor, and if he agrees that it is valid, it is possible he may work with you to help make that possible.

He is the best judge after all of your skills, and how long it takes to master the art.

If nothing else he can tell you what you will have to do to meet that goal.

as with anything else in life to accomplish goals you need to know what they are, why you want them, and then how to get there..

wrk it out and im sure you will do well :)

I've been training for 4 years, and I'm not a black belt yet. Well, then again, I'm not in it for rank.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just train hard. When you go off to college and/or find a new school, just tell them about your training. Most schools will work with you on that.

Laurie F

Some advice I would give is to

1) Write down what you can remember in class for each day you went.

2) Practice everyday what you are being taught.

I know some people have an easier time advancing when they are studying/practicing what they are being taught.

I know some people have an easier time advancing when they are studying/practicing what they are being taught.

Generally, MA students advace faster when they practice at home compared to those who don't.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!