• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to Break

All good advice here :) But one thing was left out. At my dojang, we are in the middle of breaking week. Some people had a bit of trouble breaking, but they were executing proper technique. It was the holder "flinching." If the holder flinches, the breaker won't break the board. I always tell my holders to close their eyes so they don't flinch (and for safety reasons).

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good point! Another thing is to be condierate of your board holders, many times if they are taller or shorter than you they may have to contort themselves to get your board set right. This can cause some fatigue that may weaken the lock in the elbows needed for a good hold, especially if they have been holding for several breaks. Just remember, set the board and break it. Looking at the board won't get the job done!

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

In my dojo, all of the breaking (that I've seen in the past year) is done with concrete blocks holding the boards or bricks.

I have not advanced enough to try it (I'm a green belt), but I look forward to trying it one day.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

It's much easier to break with the blocks as you don't have the human element involved. The only drawback is that it severely limits your choice of techniques.

• 1 month later...

when breaking concrete blocks or wood do you have to condition hands or will tang soo do traing already do that

"learning a martial art is like tuning a string instrument. tune the strings too hard and they will snap tune them too little and it will not play but tune it right and you will have music for a lifetime"-anonomous

not necessicarily, knuckle pushups seem to be popular, but, striking a makiwara or having condintioning outside of class will help.

is a makara effective fast or is it slow conditioner like knuckle push ups. i was thinking of making 1 and also using iron palm techniques e.g. thrusting into a ucket of sand is this effective and safe or should i just do knuckle push ups and the makara

"learning a martial art is like tuning a string instrument. tune the strings too hard and they will snap tune them too little and it will not play but tune it right and you will have music for a lifetime"-anonomous

It is faster in that you are more likely to do more punches than push ups in a training session. As far as safety goes, well it all depends on how hard you are hitting, just dont do it to the point of extreme pain. I have never tried to do the iron palm techniques as the makiwara has been all that I have needed.