• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are also many variant's of Yang Style.. Shuai Chiao people often do a "Ch'ang" modified version of Yang Style. It's done quite a bit faster, and the applications are (surprise, surprise) focused on throws.

Not so surprising I think yang style TCC is quite grappling oriented, it has also strikes but it has also lots of grappling, locks pushes and throws.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also many variant's of Yang Style.. Shuai Chiao people often do a "Ch'ang" modified version of Yang Style. It's done quite a bit faster, and the applications are (surprise, surprise) focused on throws.

Being familiar with both, I don't see a strong similarity. Could you be more specific? How is Shuai Chiao similr to Yang Taiji as opposed to, say, Judo.

Disciple Hi, I too am trying to learn more about TCC, from what I have read and the people I've talked to the more practice one does the more of TCC marvels reveal themselfs to a practioner. It's soft because it dosen't use the external force of the muscles. It relies apon the internal chi, once cultivated, then issued to the intention of ones mind, through which ever technique used. It's not the ability to shoot lazer-beams out of ones eye's or lightning bolts from your fingertips, but a controlled manifestaion of internal energy, applied.

I think it's a very interesting art and I value everyones opinion on the subject. I only wish I had a time machine and my video camera, what things the old masters must have done !

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

hmm, y'know, i don't think i've actually heard of this (at least i don't recognise anything from the english...)

can you guys give me a little more info about 'temple taiji'.

some names of people so i can go peruse the old text books?

:o Stop! :idea:

I'm not even sure it actually exists, to tell the truth. I probably should have said 'the fabled' or 'rumored'. The term, as I understand its use, refers to the old system where practitioners were able to pretty much devote their lives to it, and before it was watered down.

It's just a term I've heard and like, not a regular style or system (as far as I know). It doesn't even mean that all practitioners then were monks (they weren't). It does convey the idea that they had dedication like a monks to really learn the art in deapth (though probably not literally so).

If you want to see it in writing, I have a little pocket book that I'll try to find. I think it is called 'The Essence of Tai Chi'. I used to read it whenever I had to sit around and wait somewhere (doctors office, running the kids around, etc.). It's hardly an ancient text, though it does have some of the ancient texts in it (translated, of course).

Speaking of running kids around, I have to go. I'll see if I can find the book and get back to you. Meanwhile, don't go scouring the Cascades (mountains) for ancient temples. :D

Edit: "The Essence of T'ai Chi", by Waysun Liao, Shambhala Publications Inc., Boston & London, 1995.

Freedom isn't free!

• 2 weeks later...

Can Tai Chi Chuan really be used for fighting?

Of course, or else it would not be Tai Chi Chuan. Remember that Tai Chi Chuan actually means Taiji Kungfu. But if you practise only its physical form, no matter how graceful your form may be or how long you may have practised it, yours becomes a sort of Taiji dance, and will not be effective for self-defence. Its health benefits are also minimal, because without its internal dimensions of energy and mind which are characteristics of training Tai Chi Chuan as a martial art, the graceful exercise of Taiji dance can give only gentle, physical benefits.

...actually, 'chuan' means fist (itself an abreviation of 'fist-art').

sorry for picking....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

...actually, 'chuan' means fist (itself an abreviation of 'fist-art').

sorry for picking....

actually.that's not my opinion chump..that's fact from a well known site on the original tai ch and its styles.

you bored tonite? I know what "chuan" means.....you an expert on tai chi or something? Me..I'm def not...but I don't make things up and post it. the style is akin to chinese kung fu...look it up..

Said my peace..I don't argue with people on the internet...not worth my time. Pick your nose instead next time chump ok?

um, no.

the word, 'chuan' as seen in tai-chi chuan, means 'fist' when directly translated into english.

it is simply the pinyin/mandarin version of 'kuen' (which is the romanisation of the cantonese).

basically, what i'm saying is that in chinese (mandarin or cantonese)

it is never refered to as 'tai chi kung fu'.

the literal translation of 'tai chi chuan' is quite complex.

'tai' can mean grand (as in tai-gung=grand father)

or it can be taken to mean 'extreme/very' (tai-ho=very good)

not sure how to translate 'chi'....but it isn't that important with regards to what i'm explaining.

'chaun' means fist.

like i said before, it is basically short-hand for 'fist-art'.

as in hung gar kuen=hung family fist (art/style)

therefore,

tai chi chuan='tai chi' fist art.

am i wrong?

please, tell me if i am.

i mean, what have i said that is incorrect?

for someone who doesn't like to argue, you sure are offensive and aggressive...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

for someone who doesn't like to argue, you sure are offensive and aggressive...

well, I'm from NY what can I tell you.

As far as I'm concerned..I'm done with this......

Have other things to do like "real life"

see ya.