• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Inverted Sit Ups Question

I've been thinking about getting these "gravity boots"(more like an ankle wrap thing) that enables you to hang upside down by hooking onto most average pull-up bars. This way, I would be able to perform sit-ups from a completely inverted angle.

Here is a link of the image:

http://www.bodyactive-superstore.co.uk/acatalog/delux%20gravity%20boots.jpg .

Well, this product's intention isn't for sit-ups, it's some therapy suggested product to relieve back pain, which isn't my problem really.

The question I have to ask is that I've heard from somewhere, that doing inverted sit-ups in this manner (with your knees locked straight) is bad for a certain reason (I completely forgot the reason why).

Does anyone know whether if this is true or false? And if it is bad, why is that?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the therpy your talking about Young Grasshopper, is where it helps your discs in your back absorb more water, and lengthens your spine, i would say it may be bad for you becasue all the blood would rush to your head, and becasue your do sit ups, you could faint or something.

"Best there is, Best there was, Best there ever will be"

Inverted situps are great for your abs, but not really necessary. It'd probably be cheaper to use weights on them (leg lifts and crunches on your knees, whatever those are called) with a cable crossover machine. Those two ab exercises have worked great for me. That is, assuming you go to a gym.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

It depends how far you are pulling yourself up with you situps. If you are doing a shallow crunch you will work your abs. If you try and get all the way up you are engaging your thigh and hip flexor muscles. These are your kicking muscles, but If you shorten these muscles by overworking them they'll end up tilting your hips and causing back and sciatic nerve problems. If you do those exercises make sure you do a good series of hip flexor stretches after your workout.

very true, very true.... crunches are better for the abs anyway- they hit them harder and more consistantly.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

try doing normal crunches, but cross ur arms over ur chest and hold a weight. like one of those round plate thingies.

that's what i do w/o spending lots of money of those boots :D

by the way, the abs are a fast twitch muscle so u gotta do crunches fast.