• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long did it take for your black belt

It took me 14 years to get my black belt. because my teacher didn't belive in giving a black belt out at the age of 10 or 11. which i could understand from his point .you may be ready to test but your mind isn't was his saying.

HEROS ARE NORMAL MEN PUT INTO EXTRAORNARY SITUATIONS

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i took me 8 years to get my first black belt in tkd. i went twice a week ten months out of the year. that was over 10 years ago. this year i hope to test for another stripe on the tkd belt and next summer i hope to test for a seperate bb in shotokan.

pain is weakness leaving the body.

fear is the mind killer, i will face my fear and let it pass threw me. from the movie "dune"

i know kung fu...show me. from the movie "the matrix"

It takes about 3 years to obtain black belt if you pass every color belt test and get all your class time requirements and assistant instructor time in. After you get 1st dan you have to wait 2 years before starting to test for 2nd dan. Then wait 3 years before starting your test for 3rd dan. Then 4 years before starting your 4th dan test, and another 5 years before starting 5th dan tests.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Interesting. You guys should transfer up to the local ITF/TKD school up here. He gives out BB's after about 1.5-2 years. The instructor is supposed to be a Master of the art, or he puts "Master" in front of his name in his advertisements anyway. I believe he's in his early-mid-30's. :roll:

Don't get me wrong, he's pretty good, but master level? Not by my definition of the word.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Many schools around here consider their 4th Dans as Masters, but at the dojang I go to we don't consider someone Master until 5th Dan.

Once you become a Cho Dan Bo (probational black belt) you are responsible for relearning all the white belt requirements plus your own, and have to assit in their instructions.

At 1st Dan you relearn all the requirements for the orange and yellow belts and assits in their instructions, plus 1st dan requirements.

2nd dans are responsible for the green and blue belts requirements plus the 2nd dan requirements.

3rd dans are responsible for both levels of purple belts requirements plus their own requirements..

4th dans are responsible for both level of red belts, the Cho Dan Bo belts and their own requirements.

Therefore it takes till you're a 5th Dan to have gone completely through the curriculum twice and be able to 'master' it.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I started in high school and quit until I was in my 40's. I went at least 3 or 4 times a week and tested whenever I was allowed. I've had to take some time off back in January due to a shoulder injury and I'm training once again while on the road and staying in hotels. Helps me keep my sanity.

I started up again just over 2 years ago this past April. I should be testing for my 1st dan black early this winter if all goes well. Our school sets a 2 year minimum and students are slowed down as they reach the upper ranks so that they don't rush though the difficult techniques. I must admit that I made the mistake of forgetting my early belts and found that the purple belt requires knowledge and testing of the white belt. The blue belt requires both white and orange. Brown requires white through yellow.... I went back and re-learned all the belts and do them daily so as not to forget the lessons learned. My injury has healed after six months of time off and I have just re-learned all the belts and am working on my red belt at this time. I agree with somebody else's statement that the 1st dan black belt is only the beginning of the real education. The color belts teach us the basics and ready us to learn. My best advice comes from another black belt who said we must slow down and enjoy the journey as the color belts are gone too quickly.[/img]

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

I began training at the age of 10 and by the age of 15 I had obtained a junior black belt in Tae Kwon Do Chang Moo Kwan. I trained at a school that didn't grant full black belts to anyone under the age of 18. However, shortly after I turned 18, I was allowed to take the exam for the 2nd degree full black belt. So, some would say that it took me five years, while others would argue that it took me eight years to earn a full black belt.

coastguard i do the same style how long does it take to go for first belt iv done low block, middle trhust, high block, front stance ,front kick and roundhouse kick in 2 lessons and sifu says ive got a grasp on it already

"learning a martial art is like tuning a string instrument. tune the strings too hard and they will snap tune them too little and it will not play but tune it right and you will have music for a lifetime"-anonomous

I never really cared about whut belt i had.After all its not the belt that makes you a great fighter,its you.

I mean for example..im only still a purple belt,ibut ive sparred with black belts countlessly to gain experience,and some of them ive beaten.I won because i take tkd seriously and train hard to become on of the best,unlike sum people in my class.

But in my skool it would take about 3 years to get black,

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''