• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is an appropriate parting gift for my first student?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say cancel classone night, and spend the hour sparring with him

I agree. I have always had the most fun "sparring" with my Sensei. (I grapple with him, hence the " "). The greatest joy is watching my sensei's eyes and listening to his comments on how I have grown in my studies and seeing in his eyes the pride that he has for me.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

This is a tough one. A couple of thoughts I have owuld be a nicely bound journal (blank of course) with the school crest/patch embossed and you writing some parting words on the first page or two.

Or a quality gi with the school patch embroidered on it.

I like the idea of giving something representing the school that you personalize.

Body, Mind, Spirit

How about 1 manditory test ?, 4 years from now !, I hate to see 9 years of traing go down the drain, I have seen that happen. I understand that people move on, but one of the things I enjoy about the MA's is you can live it your whole life. Good luck, and I think is great that your even thinking about it!

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

GIVE THAT PERSON LIKE A SHIRT OR JACKET WITH THE DOJO'S LOGO ON IT. OR EVEN A HAT THAT HTEY CAN SHOW OFF.

FROM MATT BLAKE AT MATBLA@CAPITAL.NET SMALL LETTER IN MY E-MAIL

This is not the same situation but I was with my instructor for 10 years and i was his prodigy and when he had to leave he gave me something that ment a great deal to him. He gave me his first black belt (by the way I already had one). Now I know alot of people my not like that kind of thing but as a sixteen year old kid that looked to this man as a father it was the greatest thing I could ever have gotten (material thing at leats). I have woren that belt since that day. I've gotten others because of rank but this one will the one that means the most to me. Hopefully I will be able to pass it down to someone one day, that is if it doesn't fall apart first.

I liked this one.

I would give him something that may remind him his training in your school like a logo a special diploma a belt with his name on.. etc..

He's going away to study science and become a doctor in the end so it looks like he won't be returning for around 10 years. I made some calls and found a position for him to be a part time assistant instructor at a school nearby his college if he chooses to accept it since he'll be jobless when he gets there.

I'll probably get him a custom gi made as he has always wore a standard white one, even for tournaments or other occassions. His belt already has his name and rank on it. I'll give it to him in front of class on his last night.

Thanks all for the suggestions, you've been a great help :)

if he wants to be a doctor, you can get him a stethascope. hell have that forever.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

I think that lunch and a good book would be "the thing". Lunch is about giving your own time to him - he'll appreciate that a lot - and book is for remembering that occasion. I wouldn't give a martial arts book...I think that a good novel (not too cheesy and philosophical, just a good, classic novel) would be "the thing". Of course, signed by you for him.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland