• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How did you feel?

Yeah, i'm in the same boat as the boozin' chimp. I was exposed when i was rather young, so never really felt out of my element. With boxing from my dad, judo at various community centers, and knockdown drag-out fights with my bigger brother.

I do recall being just a tad clueless for a time with judo. Trying to flip people with force, rather than technique. Part of the problem that exacerbated this was the fact i was friggin' tiny when i was young, so every one of my ukes were twice my mass or larger.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, your about to reach the 30 year mark. Out of curiousity, what Dan grade are you in Shorin ryu?

Yep..January will be the big 30! lol It's a long, sad story as to why I haven't progressed in rank, but I'm a 3rd Dan. I received my shodan from the head of the system in June of 1978, tested by a 6th Dan for my Nidan in January of 1987, and the head of the system again in September of 1990 for my Sandan. Travel is the problem, as there's nobody within 500 miles of me that I can train or test with. $$$'s is also a huge factor. Fortunately (and obviously?), I'm not in this for the rank. Good thing, huh? lol

Remember, patience is a virtue...and boy, am I virtuous! lol

I'm with you on that, Shorinryu Sensei. I might have not been training as long as you (four years for me), and I should have been a sho dan by now, but I'm not in it for rank. It's a little off topic, but I hold myself at a higher standard than most. If I don't feel I'm ready, I don't test period. So, for the fact that you are only a third dan, I give you credit *bows respectfully* :karate:

Anyways, back to the topic .... When I started TKD after moving, I felt like I shouldn't have started over. Now I am thankful that I did. I felt like a white belt again. My technique might have been better, but there was sooooooo much new stuff to learn. I was actually falling over myself again. It was the weirdest feeling.

Laurie F

...well, the thing is, these days, whenever i go into another school (of any style), i feel really akward and out of place because i didn't learn in a proper 'school'...

even when i go to another wing chun place

and they ask who i trained with

i can't give any real detail or any impressive names.

all i know is, one of the guys at home was a student of yip man (well, trained at the school when yip man was there....not sure who his real teacher was.)

it's a good thing that the wing chun test is 'in the hands'.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

My shins hurt.

I recently started training in Karate after many years of working in various styles while in the service. I had taken about 3 years off from any serious pursuit of MA... I think my instructor wanted to test my heart as I am a pretty big guy. He put me through the proverbial wringer.

I've been training with him for about 4 months now and every session (@ 4 per week) seems as hard as the first. I am preparing to test for my Blue Belt, for that I have to break 2 bricks with each hand and 1 with a head break...this is something entirely new to me and has my wrists aching. The bricks are winning so far...I can do one, but the technique has me baffled for two and three...its driving me nuts as one of the other guys I train with (green testing for purple) is 80lbs lighter and smashes them like its nothing.

I personally love the feeling of being sore all over and of complete exhaustion... but I guess that's the little bit of a sadist in me coming out.

I wanted to become a teacher going in on my first day, 15 minutes later I had no clue what I was doing, very akward. I didn't understand why I had to do the same three moves over and over. I was angry at the teacher, I'd be in my square horse stance, low like he said, then he would come over and put his hands on my shoulders and push down and tell me I need to get into a low stance. After 30 seconds :o I'm sreaming in pain it can't be done.(lol)When I left that night soar and confused about my dreams, I got home ate, sat on the couch for awhile. Then I got up and started practicing those three moves.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

My beginning in martial art was quite smooth, the kickboxing class just opened we were all beginners exept two or three guys coming from another schools following the instructor from its previous class. So the process of training was gradual but after a few lessons it became hard as it should be... lots of bruises, scars and sore muscles especially in the beginnings, but I withstood the training and this for me was an enormous confidency booster since I was by far the oldest student in the class (41 and a half). When we started sparring my confidence growed further since I discovered I was not bad at all despite my lack of flexibility and speed.

Now after about one and a half year I made several experience with different martial arts, I discover the two art that I will practice for long time (I hope) so I think for the forthcoming years I will go on with a lot of enthusiasm. :karate:

Edited by italian_guy

my first class I was so excited and eager to learn

with images of so many kung fu movies and saturday morning cartoons buzzing through my head, I watched with anticipation as the Instructor showed me the most basic stances and footwork.

(I was 5 when i took my first class)

After a breif hiatus (6 years) i got back into the martial arts. my first class at my new and current dojo was exactly what I exected. never the less, I was intruiged and itching to learn the cooler, flashier techniques.

it took some effort to remember that although the basics of any art are boring, they are still very very important.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)

I personally didn't like to put up a lot of expectations in front of me when I try something new. This way I am not so disappointed.

When I walked into class the first time I was looking for an exercise program, self defense program, and learn to fight. Little did I know what I was going to get.

I got friends, family, exercise, self defense, honor, respect, humility, and much much more. More than can even be explained. One has to experience the Martial Way to know what I am talking about.

The entire white belt process was very challenging with regards to balance, coordination, and memorization.

My first day in a dojang was hilarious. Getting the class into a front stance was a laughing matter. Trying to get your feet and hands to move in ways they have never moved before and then to have them move simultaneously. :lol:

The first Martial Art I went to was a realy tough one and I was about 6 years old with al these big kids around me so I was really scared.

BUT. Then when we were doing basic reverse ounches. I got asked if Id done it before and that I was a natural, that brightened me up.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!