• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting on the street.

Karatekid04

Why people think that MA would not work in a fight situation is beyond me, if you practice anything you will improve and if you practice fighting skills of course you are better prepared.

That's it, isn't it though? IF you practice fighting skills, and not merely a series of actions that 'mimic' fighting.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Why people think that MA would not work in a fight situation is beyond me, if you practice anything you will improve and if you practice fighting skills of course you are better prepared.

That's it, isn't it though? IF you practice fighting skills, and not merely a series of actions that 'mimic' fighting.

Amen.

And to the original poster, I spot your style is TKD. At the risk of being shot I'm gonna say this: along with sport-style karate, TKD is probably the hardest style to adapt to the street. an emphasis on high kicks in particular make it, in the form it is taught, impractical. However, any style of martial arts can be street applicable if you train properly. the best way I have found is to start fights from a street-realistic scenario, eg a mugging instead of startign as if it were a sport match.

Someone above me recommended Geoff Thompson as a street-fighting guide. I would like to second that, and also point to older works such as the Bubishi and the Art of War for the tehniques and principals of rule-free fighting.

3rd Kyu - Variant Shotokan

Taijutsu

"We staunt traditionalists know that technique is nowhere near as important as having your pleats straight when you die."

Thats my point, quality tuition and practice in a realistic form is garunteed to have some improvement in your abilities to defned ones self

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

Incidentally for anyone in the UK, Geoff Thompson's instructor, Dave Turton has a class in Rotheram if your interested.

Which just goes to show that there's at least one good thing that happens in my home town, even if the rest of it is a dive.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Are you a rotheram lass then Aefibird? Is that where you train?

Im going to uni in Leeds and was recomended that class to train in, however I hear that Dave Turton isn't actually teaching at the moment due to illness but one of his students has a class in Leeds itself that may be worth my while.

Well, I'm not actually from Rotherham itself, but from a crummy little village a few miles away. :-/ Actually, Rotherham's not that bad. I'm sure I can think of worse places if you give me long enough to think about it. :lol:

On another note...

There's a Leeds-based karate association called the West Yorkshire Karate Association. It's a loose grouping of small clubs of different karate styles (although, it's mostly Shotokan) in the Leeds/Bradford, Halifax and Huddersfield areas.

I've only ever heard good reports about them; you might wanna check it out if you're looking for MA training in Leeds. If I can get a telephone number or website address for you I will. I'll ask my Sensei when I next see him.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!