• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just to make sure- meaning of Bunkai

delta1

My understanding of the term Bunkai is that it means understanding and application(s). Is this correct?

Next, you often hear this term applied to kata, but can it also be applied to basics, moves, one steps, techniques, etc.? I would think it could, but I'm the only one I've ever heard use it that way. Just wondering if I'm useing the term correctly.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yeah application of the move. Like you said usually used in kata because thats what everyone wants to know. WHY ARE WE DOING THIS LOL... Application can be used in everything like you said. A rising block can be a block or a strike under the chin, or an escape or break. To each his own. Like I try and teach my students there is no wrong in Martial Arts only more right and less right. Its an art not a science.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

It is good to know that the term bunkai was actually taken to use in the west and not that long ago.

On Okinawa, the original word used for the kata application analysis is ti-chi-ki, "the possibilities of the hand".

So, on Okinawa you study "the way of the empty hand" (karate-do), which was earlier known as "the Chinese hand" (toudi a.k.a. tode) and the application of the kata is studied as "the possibilities of the hand" (ti-chi-ki).