• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too soon?

Ant

My cheapo Gi I bought to start out in Karate (only a couple of months ago) has shrunk quite a bit and looks a bit naff.

Is it too soon for me to buy a decent gi? I'm not really into buying a cheapo (that aren't all that cheap) gi if it's going to shrink so much and look worn out in two months.

Plus I'd prefer a heavier gi than what I already have.

wadyarekon?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you know what?

I also bought a cheapo Gi (25 Euro) through the web, the site itself raccomanded to buy one size larger then needed in order to account for the shrinking so I bought a 6 (I'm 6 ft so 5 is my size). Then even if I pre-washed and then washed several times during usage it did not shrink, so

I have now this Gi which is somehow oversize (not too much).

Ant, if you feel you're gonna stick with karate then I'd buy a decent gi.

I don't think there is necesarily a time when it is 'too soon' to buy a good quality gi. A decent gi of good quality will last you for ages, unlike these £15 jobbies from JJB Sports (or whatever).

I generally wear Blitz red label gi's (their 'Silver Tournament' brand) as they're of a good weight and don't tend to shrink in the wash. Plus, they give a good snapping sound when you do punches & kicks, which always makes a karateka look impressive ;). They even come in half-sizes, so you can get a half size too big to account for any shrinking. I've had 3 of these gi's, though, and they've never shrunk on me so far.

The only trouble with them is that, because they're of a heavy weight, they can get really hot to wear in the summer. I keep a cheapo gi on standby for when it is really hot in the dojo.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Do you have to buy a club Gi? If not Tokaido makes one thats hard to beat. I also like the heavyweight uniforms from Century they seem to be better tailored to the American/European frame.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

Thanks for the replies.

We don't have to wear a club gi, I just think it looks a lot nicer. They are I believe very similar to the Silver Gi, 2 pears of pants (kata and kumite) and a nice snap :)

The heat is never an issue in our dojo and I swea like a racehorse summer or winter.

I think I'll mail my sensai now and order one.

Thanks again you guys are better than great.