• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you have a meditation technique you are willing to share?

SaiFightsMS

my meditation is playing with my nephew..chillin with my family..reading a good book....talking to that special. someone..having a good laugh..walking on a beach...these are the times when i am most relaxed and my life has most meaning.......cut and dry..no mysterious..ancient asian influence and no long quotes from a book....and listening to music one of the best forms of meditation. :smile:akidoka are you going to be a jedi in the next star wars movie?

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-12-03 18:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-12-03 18:42 ]

Javier l Rosario

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that you can learn most not from people around you but from yourself once you know yourself then you can know others. i have immence respect for those who follow the path of deep medition techniques, but i feel each to there own. i would rather leave the universe to its own. i do not meddle with things i dont understand and never will,

my humble opinion.

henry south

I don't excactly meditate, I personally just listen to some relaxing oriental music and breath deep, sometimes while stretching. It may not technically be meditation but it does a great job and keeping me chilled and happy :smile:

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Taezee - I think I will have to practise a bit more before I become a Jedi! :lol:

I don't think that chilling out is not beneficial, and most people should probably do more of it, all I am saying is that for some people meditation has a deeper purpose.

By the way, that "long quote from a book" was by the monk who brought Zen to China (he had quite a lot to say about meditation!) and I think it's quite a good one. Legend says that when he reached the Shaolin Temple he sat and stared at a wall in meditation for nine years, waiting for someone of worth to come to him! :smile:

Keep chilled, peace.

We don't get into DEEP meditation, but we do have a number of meditions we practice.

We have breathing medition where we have five postures that we consentrate on breathing from low in the abdomen.

We have a sword meditation, where we are kneeling and go through a number a hand positions with proper breathing before we pick up our sword for cutting practice.

And we have a simple 1 minute meditation at the end of class, where we are in kneeling posture, right hand cupped in the left just below the navel. We focus on controlling our breathing after a vigorous workout, and running through all our grappling techniques or forms in our head.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

this is not meant to be offensive but why would you sit a stare at a wall for nine years?...its my opiniion that some parts(of martial arts) are so romantizied or even taken to an occult level...martial arts is "to learn to fight" period and to go on long tangemnts of the spiritual side or what the monks thought up thousands of years ago..is really not gonna benifit me when im staring at someone with a gun pointing at me or a kinfe at my throat..our lives are so busy we are lucky to have nine minutes staring at a wall forget about 9 years..whats the point.? some one worthy of what?....it all sounds ridiculous...we ar learning a form of self defense not to walk around in shaolin monk attire quoting scripture..or acting like cain from kung fu......

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-12-12 20:50 ]

Javier l Rosario

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

Firstly, it's probably a myth anyway. Also it has more to do with Zen than it does with the martial arts. It is not intended as a method to benifit you, it benefits the person who does it.

Remember, not everyone practises martial arts because they are worried about getting mugged. If they did, they'd buy a can of pepper spray and learn to use it. If someone is pointing a gun at you, you can forget martial arts. Martial arts are more than self defense. The second word is "arts" and to some people it is equally important as the martial aspect.

Just because something seems meaningless to you does not mean that no one else can understand it. Try to keep an open mind.

Sharing similar beliefs to Zen is not the same as pretending to be a Shaolin monk.

Peace

"Those who shun illusion for reality, who meditate on walls and the loss of self and other, on the unity of mortal and sage, and are undeterred by written holy words are in accord with the faculty of reason."

Bodhidharma

[ This Message was edited by: Aikidoka on 2001-12-13 11:15 ]

okay i can respect that..brother.. :grin:

Javier l Rosario

I have just recently used meditation as a way of getting in touch with "myself". Allday long I expend all my energies to everyone else in my life and most of the time lose sight of myself (if you can kinda understand this... those of you without kids, fellow workers, students etc.)

Also now during the holiday season I am so stressed out to the point where I am hurried about and not giving myself the chance to enjoy the sights, smells and sounds around me. This is when I try to use meditation to slow myself down and get in touch with the true importance of what is going on around me and within me most importantly.

What I do is simple and even do this at the end of my classes. Lie flat and think about your toes relaxing, one at a time, then your feet, ankles, calves, thighs, torso, fingers, wrists, lower arms, upper arms, shoulders, spine, neck, jaw, and facial muscles. Go very slowly, paying attention to the tense muscles in your body, allowing them to release the tension. Breathe deeply. Next add some imagery. I like JoeCookes idea.... I am a sun worshipper and find I derive lots of energy from its warmth and light.

And if you find you've had a stressful day and are unable to sleep ...this imagery sounds strange but it does work (beats counting sheep too!) Think about descending a stairway slowly and count backwards from ten to one. Then see a garden gate and go to it, leaving all your burdens in a bundle outside the gate. Then go through the imagined garden gate. Feel the sun or rain on your skin, touch flowers and leaves smell the scents around you. When it is time, go back through the gate (leaving your burdens behind), back up the stairs, and back into your bedridden world, peaceful and relaxed.