• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Questions on Black Belt Gradings.

Red Triangle student

Hi, I have questions on what the Black Belt Gradings are like for Shotokan. I am going for my Black Belt in September and would like to know a little more about it.

First I would like to learn the proper terms for each Dan Grading. Is 2nd dan called your "Shodan" grading and is third dan called your "Needan" Grading or your "Sandan" grading? I think I know that your 4th Dan grading is "Yondan".

What should I expect in my Black Belt Grading? Is it Long? How tough is it?

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, dan gradings are different for different organisations. The best person to ask would be your instructor.

For my Shodan (1st Dan) I had to demonstrate all basics on the spot & moving up and down, as well as in long and horrendously tricky combinations. Then there was the kicking bit where you had to stand on one leg and kick maegeri, yokogeri kekome and ushirogeri without putting your foot to the floor between kicks. It's supposed to be there so the examiner can see your balance and co-ordination as well as how well you can kick, but I suspect that it's really only there to give the Chief Instructor a darn good laugh in the middle of the grading. I'm sure that I looked hilarious whilst attempting that bit - one girl managed to slip & fall over during that bit of the grading, which further confirms my theory that it's only there so Sensei can laugh at us all trying to stand on one leg for ages. Then when you've embarassed yourself with all the basics on one side of your body you have to do them all again on the otherside (with explanation for each technique, as required).

After the basics we did sparring - jyu-ippon kumite and timed freestyle kumite, with a referee. One opponent for the jyu-ippon and 2 opponents for the freestyle kumite. My chief instructor can also ask dan grade candidates to show basic ippon kumite if he feels there's a need for it.

Then comes kata -we did a free choice kata (from Jion, Empi, Hangetsu and Kanku-Dai), plus you have to perform Bassai-Dai and a Heian kata of the examiners choice. Plus give explanation of any aspect of any kata you've learned so far if the examiner is feeling really mean and wants to torture you further.... ;)

Also, before even taking the grading exam you have to write to the federations Chief Instructor and formally apply to take a dan grade. In your application form you have to include reasons why you want to grade and also what karate has done to benefit your life.

Good luck with your grading for September.

I'd really try & find out what you've got to do for your grading if I were you. It's better to be prepared ages in advance than to only find out stuff at the last minute.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

In our karate association, which teaches Wado Ryu, we have a syllabus book which lists requirments for each grading from 7th Kyu up to Shodan (the syllabus for this looks pretty demanding, including 30 mins continous sparring against mixed opponents). I'm surprised you don't have the same.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

You should have some idea by now as all have pointed out. Here is a list of stuff we do. I may left a few out but close enough.

Basics 4 up and 4 back

All Basic Blocks, kicks, and strikes.

Combos of Jab, Reverse Punch with almost all...

(30 mins or more)

Kata

Your testing kata may change for association to association but we do 3 usually. The testing kata which is usually Kanku Dai then the teacher picks one from Jion, Bassai Dai, or Empi, and the student picks one from the Heian's or Tekkis Shodan.

(15 mins or more)

Focus Tests

Usually strinking at a pen held by the teacher. Lets us gage control and speed.

Sparring

Most of the time we don't do 3 step on Dan tests but we could and have. We will do 1 step and Freestyle.

The Freestyle session could last a long time and be very hard lol. Mine lasted over 45mins. (against 3 people who were tagging in and out so they were always fresh)

Good luck let us know who it goes.

Don't worry about that as much as you need to worry about the mental part.

1 Stay focused....

2. Show strong spirit at all times. Its a test not class go all out.... on everything.....

3. Respect remeber your bows and little things thats the sign of a Blackbelt.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

You all seem to be labouring under the delusion that I have no idea what the Grading is like and that I am a complete Novice. Well, all I wanted to know is what you thought the grading was like and how tough it is.

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!

My test was designed to be both physically and spiritually exhausting. After I had reached that point, I truly believe that is when the REAL test started.

Anyone can go out fresh and execute perfect technique. However, when you're on your last leg, gasping for breath, your legs trembling and you feel exhausted... your TRUE technique and your true nature comes out.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.