• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is teaching essential for higher ranks?

Hello, folks.

I've noticed a number of posters saying that in order to progress in their

art, it is necessary to teach. What does everyone think about this?

Is this a requirement in your art? Is it a good thing? Any anti views?

What (if anything) do you believe teaching has added to your

understanding of the art? This last question is really to students who taught

only because they had to, rather than those who chose to do it.

Has anyone changed arts because they didn't want to teach?

I'm asking because I simply don't understand what teaching (a class) has

to do with your development as a martial artist. If my club decided

tomorrow to make taking classes a requirement for advancing, I would

most likely leave. I have no interest in teaching, and I would be terrible

at it.

Admittedly, I have found that trying to explain a technique to someone

helped me understand it more fully. But you don't need to take an entire

class to get the benefit of that. In fact, you don't even need to say it (your

explanation) out loud--simply imagining having to explain a technique to

someone can help. So it's not that I don't see any value in teaching--I do.

Surely, though, dragging someone mumbling and red-faced to the front

is pointless. It's not fair on the class, either. I know I want to be taught

by someone who wants to be there, and enjoys it.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say for others, but even assisting in teaching class has helped me improve in all areas of my martial art.

I think it is summed up simply as: Setting the example.

I don't want those I'm helping with their techniques to think I don't practice what I preach, so it motivates me to become better each day.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

Teaching has helped me. When your teaching you really do have to make sure you know exactly what your talking about. It helps you maintain that desire for perfection, whilst it is ultimately an unatainable goal its a good desire to have.

Unless you turn into a borg.

I love teaching. Teahcing has given me leadership skills that are essential in life. In some school's it's a requirement. But really I do not feel that it is that essential. I understand that some people just don't like doing it. First try it out a little more. When I first started I thought it was rediculous, I thought I was being used or something. But the more I did it, the more I had confidence. Now I am a real people person. There are pleanty of high ranks at my school that don't teach and really couldn't if you asked them. I really have no problem with that. I do it because I feel good not only having my martial arts skills, but I could share it with others.

If you really don't like teaching, tell your master that you really aren't into it and I'm sure he will understand.

A good point there xma1 (any relation to delta1? hehe)

The 'being used' principle. A lot of people who are asked to instruct feel as if they are being used, but they fail to grasp the fact that teaching ingrains the basics and helps you realize those things you take for granted when you perform. It also helps ground you, in that it lets you know just how good you really are, in comparison to when you were a n00b like the student you are presently instructing. Last, it provides opportunities for you to delve into things you had not previously considered, as for those times they ask you a question... and you don't have the answer to it. Suddenly, you're forced to think about something you had previously taken for granted.

Lots to gain from instruction, besides the obvious.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Teaching really helps you break down yor ma into its most basic elements. It is much easier to see faults in someone elses technique than your own, and if you are responsible for correcting that person's faults it makes you think deeply about the technique and ideally what it should be. You are suddenly watching martial arts with different eyes. From a wider perspective, if you have a great right side kick and a poor left one, which should you practice? Maybe it's the same with teaching, you get most value out of doing the stuff you find hard.

I'm for teaching. First some minor parts from the lesson, afterwards more and more till entire class. It helped me understant even better the things, work harder (you have to set an example and be "perfect") and so on. I'll be an instructor some day and prepare for the moment. I think even those who don't have this goal could heavily benefit from this experience.

I like teaching (in my dojang, it's required for red belts to assist in class, at least, one class per week). It forces you to look at your technique at a totally new point of view. You really have to understand the techniques to show a beginner how to do it. It has really helped my techniques and knowledge of each one.

Laurie F

You don't have to teach but you do have to understand. Being a HS teacher as well as a MA teacher I can honestly tell you that you really learn things when you teach them. Teaching is a nothing more than a sign of understanding. If you can teach me to do something then you know it. So in that reguards yes it is needed to advance.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

• 2 weeks later...

my thoughts are that teaching doesn't help you become a better fighter, but it certainly helps you become a better martial artist. I figure part of being a proficient martial artist is sharing your knowledge with others, passing it down to the next generation so to speak.

Plus, teaching helps you cement what you know and makes you self analyze everything you teach... i taught at my old school, for about 2 full years and i miss it more than anything else.

Cho Dan - Tang Soo Do

Miller Tang Soo Do Institute

https://www.mtsdi.com