• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Third Dan.....11 years.....Is that enough?

Zen_Diva

Well...in Italy you have to wait alot to get high ranks.

I had an istructor that was 5th dan and he said he needed almost 30 years of training to get this grade.

After you got first dan(usually 5 years needed)...from 1st to 2nd you have to train for three years,; from 2nd to 3rd you need 4 years; from 3rd to 4th you need 5 years and from 4th to 5th you have to train for 6 years.

All depending on your skills of course...if you not pass every test by its time you will need alot more.

:karate:

"With a bit of imagination, kata can be deadly." - Hidy Ochiai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RIP 24fightingchickens

6 years and still a 3rd kyu, my club doesn't promote very fast, although there are people who have trained as long as me in the same club at Shodan. As long as I am good enough for the grade I am then ill be happy. I would be unhappy as a white belt now. I would also not be happy with a 3rd dan now, cos im not there yet. :karate:

Well, I actually got my 3rd Dan in 9 years....

but i'll be the first to admit that I was promoted too quickly...

It took another 11 years past that to make it to full 4th Dan rank...which I will receive in a few weeks...so really, as long as it all balances itself out in the end like it did with me...

it doesn't bother me too much...

1st-3rd Dan in my Association are more preparation for 4th dan than anything else...and it's 4th Dan that is much harder to attain...

In shotokan were i go you have to be 21 in order to go in for your 3rd dan, i think....

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

My instructor is 5th dan and has been training soildly for over 30 years. In the same town as my club there is a kickboxing & TKD club run by a 26 year old self-proclaimed 'master' who is also a 5th dan. He's been training for less than 9 years. I know who I'd rather train with...

However, grades are arbitary, and have different meanings and different emphasis in many organisations. As long as the person has worked hard for their grade and not claimed to have got it in a ridiculous amount of time then it's all by the by anyway. I know of a 2nd dan who has been training almost the same length of time as my own instructor (indeed, even trained at the same club as him as a beginner), yet whom is stil 'only' a 2nd dan. It doesn't mean than my instructor is necessarily miles better than my friend, nor does it mean that my instructor has rushed his grades and should be still at 2nd dan, as my friend is. It just means that gradings need to sometimes be taken with a pinch of salt. It's training and hard work that count.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!