• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Internals in Karate

Zen_Diva

Anyone else struggling with this one? Working on 3rd dan for a few years now, glimpses of ki, then evasive. Anyone at similar dan rank (+10 years training) working with this slow learning curve? Your thoughts, ideas, techiques?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, i know how you feel, I have been trying to do more searches of this higher internal understanding and all ....it is a slow ride....but I fortunately have some people that train in internal arts that are willing to help me out. Let me know with a private message if there is anything in particular that you are looking for

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Simple and obvious suggestion....

Start cross-training in Tai chi chuan, but be patient it takes a lot to be learned properly.

Try to find a good chi kung/qi gong instructor. Some kung fu teachers give separate chi kung classes which you can take, look around and find an authentic school. It will be well worth it in the end.

Usually all you will need is to learn some basic easy Chi Kung exercises CORRECTLY, and then practice on your own every day.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Chi kung is an excellent practice. But I think you can achieve similar results with your Kata, breathing exercise and meditation practice. Especially do not underestimate the power of kata to unify mind and body and kiai to lift you to another level. Practices like kata are different things at different levels. When you are a blue belt kata is just practicing your technique. I think at your level it is something much more if you are open to it. Try practicing your kata by yourself on top of a mountain. When you kiai feel the mountain move.

Trying different techniques, ways etc can be a distraction in the end. Obviously, going by the time you have spent and the level you are at, you have gone a substantial way on one path. Stick with it. In meditation you don't start to make progress until you become relaxed with the practice, and in a way stop trying to achieve something. When you learn to relax and just train for training's sake, progress is easier.

Agreed with markusan.

If katas are anything like their chinese counterparts then at higher levels of training they will help release your chi energy and condition your spirit and body from inside. The practice of kata itself can turn into a type of meditation as well.

You can still incorporate independent chi kung training into your training for even more benefits if you have the time.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

• 1 month later...

Yoga

With a REAL and QUALIFIED teacher, hard to come by, but worth the trouble in the end.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

There is certainly quite a bit of internals in Karate. What is your system?

Some are more overt than others, such as Matsumura Shorin Ryu that has White Crane kata as an integral part of their system while others are less. I find White Crane kata to really help bring out the energy in my other kata, as you start to view them from another perspective.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/