• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions on the Karate bible: Bibishi

BritNoob

Hi, as a few of you might know I've just started Karate and I was recommended this book. It arrived today and it seems very interesting, I was just interested in other peoples thoughts on it. It's the version translated by Patrick McCarthy by the way.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I haven't read it myself, but I heard mixed opinions about the book.

But now you mentioned Patrick McCarthy. A bit on a sidetrack, but if you ever get the chance to train with him, please do. I've had the pleasure to attend to one of his seminars last summer. He is a man with a lot of knowledge of MA's and he knows how to teach. He does it in a friendly and very amusing way.

René

If you are just starting out then this book is probably not the best for you. Alot of what is in there is still way over my head. There is some history of the art in there that you may find interesting but for now id stick to less focused books.

Try "Karate-do my way of life" By Gichin Funakoshi (founder of shotokan) its an autobiography but well worth the read for his outlook on life and training.

Its a good book to start out with, I've read it a good few times now.

Unfortunately my experience is that decent Goju books are like golddust, hard to find. I'd advise you to ask people here whether a book is worth it before you go out and just by it.

Hello,

You may want to check out the following site:

https://www.eisshinryu.com/martial/goju-ryu-books-1.html

they seem to have a good selection of goru-ryu books.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

The Shotokan Bible so to speak is Karate Do Koyhan (sp) by Gichin Funakoshi. Its a very good book IMO and is not only written well but explains things very well.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Nyumon (also by Gichin Funakoshi) is also worth a read. I haven't got Kyohan but it is meant to be good.

Have you read Funakoshi Sensei's first book G95? Karate Jutsu I think. From what I've heard his pre-war attitude was very different from his post war attitude.

I have it but have yet to read it.... One day I plan on getting to it.

Yes I have heard the same about his Pre WWII stance on a lot of things. But like with everything else his style was a work in progress that IMO was not finished till after WWII. Im sure the Gov. of Japan had some say on his teachings before the War.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

GrrrArg

Just to make one comment on Funakoshi before WWII and after WWII.

The Christian Bible is very differant as well in the Old and New Testiments. A God of Revenge vs a God of love.

Nice Yin and Yang going on in both cases Im sure. lol

I'd recommend Karate-do Kyohan and Karate-do Nyumon. They're both very good Shotokan books. I also like the Best Karate series by Nakayama Sensei but, again, they're Shotokan books, not Goju.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

GrrrArg

Just to make one comment on Funakoshi before WWII and after WWII.

The Christian Bible is very differant as well in the Old and New Testiments. A God of Revenge vs a God of love.

Nice Yin and Yang going on in both cases Im sure. lol

True, i get your point.