• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Define McDojo

Zorba

I have seen few people on here refer to a McDojo. Can you please define this term. Obviously its isnt the kind of Dojo that takes karate seriously, but can you give details

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

McDojo refers to some of the dojos with serious commercial mentality, in McDojos You normally pay by direct credit card deduction no matter you alive or not, you can have sleep over, at weekends so parents can have some fun, in McDojo they show your parents how high you can kick , you pay not only for Gi but also for gloves,helmet,cup Bo,sai, …every thing else you may need in near or far future. Oh, grading happens very often and every time there is a nice charge for new belts, they love to start from 20th kyu and lots of belts are involved even pink with 3 trips.

But no offence, the purpose of a dojo is making some money anyway, even a MA teacher has bills to pay just some of them shift the purpose from make a living to business and this make some people to create a word like McDojo compare to McDonald. I practice in tree dojos ,one traditional with a very fare monthly fee,(I quit that one for a while).

One private dojo which I pay $100 every 4-5 months just to compensate the sensei’s expenses, one McDojo that I pay $120/month for jujitsu

very clean, with big restrooms, big lockers , $2 per bottle water, lots of grading, nice Gis with lots of patches …..

So.

:-?

Pretty much everyone has a different definition of what a McDojo is, however the concept is based on McDonalds, which offers substandard products and services at unreasonably high prices and is geared toward expansion. Essentially a McDojo is a school, or more likely a chain of schools, whose #1 goal of profit undermines all other aspects of the business.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

What they said. Probably the quickest way of defining a McDojo is a "martial" art school that will give you the belt you test for simply outr of payment. You could be beatten up by your little sister and still get the black belt simply because you showed up all the time and payed the fees. So do you want some fries with that black belt, eh?

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

ah k cool.

both of the martial arts schools i have been to, and most of them around here, are basically run non-profit. the senseis have other day jobs and run the karate school as a hobby. smaller classes, more tuition. the way it should be.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

I think they have to offer you fries with every lesson, too.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

You may also get 30 year old 10th dan grand masters, "serving the fries" in some McDojos.......LOL.

Beware of the lack of martial essence and possible sub-standard martial arts tuition at some of these establishments.

Wing Chun Kuen

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Here are some signs:

As you are warming up doing basics you trip while throwing a sidekick and take out the student next to you. The instructor says "Nice move, I think you are ready to test for your next belt."

"We teach only the deadliest and most guarded secrets. You can't find this material anywhere else."

"We have 37 colored ranks before black belt because we believe in short term goals. We also believe in long term goals so we have prepared a 5 year, 60 payment contract to sign. In the case of your death, please list your next of kin who will automatically incur your debt."

"I'm sorry, we have to cancel tonight's black belt class because we need to inflate the bounce house for the 7 year-old ninja sleep over party."

"Please make sure that you have your uniform pressed as we will be going door-to-door giving our testimonials regarding the Grand Supreme Master in an effort to prove our loyalty and increase membership. Here are some extra gold tassels that need to hung from your uniform."

"Oh, you want to use the restroom. There is an extra charge for that."

"Little 5-year-old Johnny is our ambassador for our "Little Mutant Dragons". He has worked hard and was recently featured at his Kindergarten show and tell for his recent promotion to 5th degree black belt. Of course, these results are not typical as his parents have signed him up to have daily private lessons with the Ultra Supreme Poobah. Just check off the 'Super-Size' box on the contract."

"Many of our students leave here to become actual ninjas for the CIA, in fact, if you are selected, you can be part of this secret training society. You look like a good candidate. By the way, how is your credit?"

OK, so I have an active imagination. :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.