• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can *anyone* progress at Karate?

BritNoob

Well at first i thought that i was not very good, but then i DOUBLE GRADED! If you are serious about karate like me and you listen to everyword of your sensei and maybe some friends.....then you will do very well indeed.

Karate is like an explosion, not like paint drying!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BritNoob, I'd keep going with karate if I were you. I believe it is possible for everyone to suceed in martial arts, as long as they put in the effort and time. Not everyone will get to be a world champion, but, hey, not everyone wants to be.

Try not to compare yourself to other people, even to other beginners. Everyone learns stuff at different rates. As long as you are enjoying your training and feel that the karate training is making a difference in your life then that's the main thing.

As for gradings, it'll probably take you between 3 and 6 months to get to your first belt. The best person to talk to, though, would be your instructor. Different clubs work at different grading rates. Also, your instructor will be able to answer any questions that you have about karate and your progress.

As for training, try and step up to 2 classes a week as soon as you can. If you can only train in karate once a week at the moment then set aside some time each day just to run through what you learned in the last class. Even if it is only 10 or 15 mins a day it will help you to retain your karate knowledge and will mean you'll probably progress much faster than those in the class who don't practice at home.

Good luck with your training! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm a perfect example. When I started training I wasa shy, geeky, and extremely uncoordinated 10 year old. I hated sports with a passion, because I couldn't do any of them well, and no one would take the time to teach the kids who didn't excel.

Hey TSG this is also my story, the only difference is that you started MA at

10 and I was so unconfident with my physical abilities that I started (by chance) at 42.... :D .

Anyway Britnoob don't worry too much about belts the important thing here is the journey not the destination. :karate:

I find watching the more experienced people very helpful. I can see why they look good doing it and try and move in the way they do. Little things you notice like the way their leg is at a different angle to yours etc.

Plus becuase they are so much better than you you can see what it will be like if you work hard and concentrate.

I look forward to improving with everyday.

I look forward to improving with everyday.

That's an excellent attitude to have Ant. It will help you with your training. Good advice too about watching those with higher grades than you - a person can learn a lot just by watching someone else.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!