• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Taking Jiu Jitsu, need advice on videos, books etc to help..

I just started training with Carlos Valente, he is a 5th Degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Gracies.

I am looking for any advice on books, videos, etc. that people have seen that are really good that i could get and study and incorporate into my training to help me move along better.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best advice...get to class early and be the last one off the mat. Forget books, forget videos...if you have an instructor just spend time with him and listen.

sj

not to be overly sarcastic, but gee there is a great answer /sarcasm off.

I understand that being there as much as possible is the going to get me more, maybe reread the topic and instead of changing the answer to something you think is witty either not reply or add to it.

That kind of a response has nothing constructive about it.

i didnt ask for advice on training... I have achieved black belts in other arts, I fight competitively in other arts and styles..

I know how to get the most out of the class.

If you were honestly trying to help then great, maybe im just overly annoyed atm at anther post war that another MMA board is having atm that i just came from.

Check out Amazon.com for the books. I had a really good book that Kid Peligro and Renzo and Royler Gracie collaborated on. It helped supplement my training right off the bat; it's a good starter book for BJJ with gi's. I loaned it to a "friend" and haven't seen it for a while. I also believe Royler has another book out on physical fitness for BJJ and no gi techniques also. Those are by far the best books I've seen. As for videos, I don't know of any offhand, but check out Grappling magazine at Borders or Barnes and Noble bookstores. There are a lot of Jiu Jitsu vids advertised in there.

Mixed Martial Artist

not to be overly sarcastic, but gee there is a great answer /sarcasm off.

I understand that being there as much as possible is the going to get me more, maybe reread the topic and instead of changing the answer to something you think is witty either not reply or add to it.

That kind of a response has nothing constructive about it.

i didnt ask for advice on training... I have achieved black belts in other arts, I fight competitively in other arts and styles..

I know how to get the most out of the class.

If you were honestly trying to help then great, maybe im just overly annoyed atm at anther post war that another MMA board is having atm that i just came from.

No, your kind of response has nothing constructive about it. Give benefit of the doubt if you think you've been insulted, because chances are you haven't.

Thanks for the links,..

And GrrrArg...

I never said i was insulted. I said that answer he gave had nothing to do with the question.

It is similar to someone asking how they can find out more information on who the people in the bible are, and someone telling them to just read it.

If i had felt insulted i would have said it and i would have made it clear i didnt appreciate it.

as I said, I was just a little annoyed with the initial response..

I have found a book on different excercises that i bought, and 2 videos so far on different exercises as well... all of htese are exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks again for the link and advice.

The Gracies came out with a series of videos. Worth purchasing and studying. Give you insight into things the instructor hasn't yet subjected you to.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Renzo and Roylers BJJ theory and Tecnique would get my 1st vote.

Mastering Jiu jitsu by Renzo also goes into great detail most aspects of the BJJ game and is a good choice.