• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gatorade vs. H2O?

Topic

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok so what would you all recommend as a drink to help maintain energy before a belt test?

They physically drive us into the ground and don't let us break for water usually so it needs to be something I can drink before the test and give me some energy.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

So, what's the best time to drink these sport drinks? Before or after a strenuous class?

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

I hate to be a wet blanket, but surely most people are not exercising

anywhere near enough to need a special sports drink? I have a hard time

believing the average MA class depletes the body of essential whatsits.

Professional sportsmen and women train for hours a day. What might be

helpful for them won't apply to everyone else. It's just a marketing

scam.

I would save your pennies, Topic, and buy a tasty snack after your

workout.

Regards,

Bart the Lover

Edit: To aes--anyplace that doesn't 'allow' water breaks doesn't deserve

your money. If you need water, take it.

I hate to brag (not really) but... on Mondays and Fridays I go rock climbing (indoors, boldering) for 5 hours, and afterwards I hit the weights. I deserved my gatorade! :P

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

Ok so what would you all recommend as a drink to help maintain energy before a belt test?

If you know that you are going into an activity that you will be losing fluids through intense exercise, then you need to make sure that you have "pre-hydrated" by taking in plenty of fluid (16-20 oz.) 2 hours before the activity.

In South Florida, it is not uncommon to measure sweat loss in pounds. With the heat and year round humidity you have to guard against heat stroke/dehydration. Last Sunday, I ran 6 miles at 6:30 am. The temp was low to mid 80s and the humidity was high at over 80%. I was sloshing in my shoes by the end of the run. Since the course has gatorade/water at every 3 miles, I made sure to grab some at three and then at six. Since I have seen athletes get dehydrated and know the how grueling the recovery is, I don't chance it. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.

BTW, My favorite Gatorade is the Blue Frost.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

AES: You can also take an energy gel, such as GU (vanilla flavor is the best, IMO). It is a carbohydrate boost that keeps your levels up for about 45 minutes. You pop one about 20 minutes before the activity and then about every 45 thereafter. I used them when I was training for a half marathon and then I started using them on gradings. Our tests are intense and you are soaking wet in short order. I only take them if I know that I will be exercising intensely for 90 minutes or more. Since they are in gel form, you don't have to digest them like you do a bar so you feel the effect right away.

https://www.gusports.com

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Gatorade will replenish you faster after a strenuous work out than water. However, that's all Gatorade was made for, you shouldn't drink it just because you're thirsty.

actually, that's NOT what it was made for - many people don't know that. look at the ingrediants...plenty of salts...they dehydrate you... the purpose of gatorade was to make players thristy (it was developed for florida football players - GATORade), that way they would drink water, because at the time, they weren't drinking it, they were merely practicing and that's it. They would, however, drink gatorade - likely because of the taste - which made them thirsty, and thusly, they drank water.