• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need some help on axe kick

i have a test this week saturday and im going to have to break a board with axe kick.

yet when i practice board breaking my axe kick is very weak, or at least thats what my instructors tell me.

the way i was taught to do it was by lifting my knee up, extend it and snap it downwards, and use my heel.also to bring urself forward when u do it (dont do this when ur sparring though).

my axe is very weak, and need some suggestions on what u think is wrong.

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Axe (or hatchet) kicks are a lot harder to break with than one thinks. So far I haven't even broke with a hatchet kick.

In Kuk Sool Won, the principle of the kick is the same, but instead of just bringing the knee straight up, we bring it up on the side almost like a cresent kick. You are correct in that you will be breaking with the heel.

You have to remember to get enough speed. Alot of people think that breaking is all power, they are wrong however. Breaking is more speed than power in my opinion.

Another major factor on how effective the axe/hatchet is, is how high the target is. One of the first things we teach our lower belts when doing kicking practice is that if someone has a stronger hatchet kick, try raising the target a bit, that effectively reduces the power of the kick.

Hope that helps!

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)

The best way to have power in the ax kick is to be loose and flexible. Power comes from the glutes, lower back, and to a small instance: hamstrings to avoid knee hyperextension. First off, how high are you expected to break this board? It is your head level, shoulder level, or are they setting the board between two cinder blocks?

[EDIT: swooshfinn managed to complete his post before I did, hence the redundant info about height...]

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Make sure you get full extention on your leg going up. Don't try and break if you're only getting your foot up to your waist or chest.

Keep your toes pulled back. You should be striking with the bone, not the meat. The meat will cushion the board.

Speed and accuracy, not power, IS the key to breaking. Honestly, a single board you split easily if you get you foot high enough and you speed and accuracy are even moderate.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Remember not to tap the board when you are doing your prep. I find a lot of students tap the board, think oooh that's gonna hurt and then pull their technique at the last second. Also, don't aim for the surface of the board, aim for the floor beneath the board. An axe kick can be problematic since you are relying only on the speed and weight of your leg and cannot get any real body weight behind it. I would either do an outside cresent into a front axe or try your axe kick like it is done in Tye Gye.

Team Respect

I may have taught you everything you know, but I haven't taught you everything I know. Age and treachery can beat youth and speed any day.

breaking techniques only hurt when the boards dont break :D .

when i do them axe kicks, i bring my knee to the side to, but i bring it inside like a hook kick (swing left to right with right leg) rather than to the outside like crescent kick.

this brings the hips in to play more, cos you twist an then as you bring your leg to the centre you get more power as you untwist your body.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

Yes, I love that saying. And, basic physics supports it.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If the board doesn't break, all the force you put into it is projected back into your hand or foot.

I really hate that part. :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

When I broke a board with an axe kick, I left the leg straight, swinging in an inside/outside crescent kick, BUT, pulling the leg straight down on the board at center, instead of continuing the crescent kick outwards. The crescent was also muted, or less circular. The way I was taught was that the leg is straight the whole kick.

Watch the movie Best of the Best for a great axe kick by the main character in the last match. That is how it should be done.

Pilsung!

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Yes, I love that saying. And, basic physics supports it.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If the board doesn't break, all the force you put into it is projected back into your hand or foot.

I really hate that part. :lol:

Oh is THAT why I haven't taken physics before, cause I don't want to have to learn it that way!?

Kuk Sool Won Jae Jah

Jah Ddi (Brown Belt)