• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jackie Chan ..true martial artist?

Can someone answer a question? I hear that Jackie Chan actually is not a true martial artist. Is this correct? Does he actually hold any belts and in what styles? I know he studied a variation of Shao Lin, but does he actually hold rank?

I did read a post about Segal, I agree, he is tough, but I dont like him. He needs to stick with training and stop the movies. He came to my hometown to film on the USS Alabama for Under Seige, he was very rude as well as his wife Kelli.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jackie Chan is a martial artist, well trained in a myriad of systems. To the point where he has recognized their inherent similarities. Having such insight requires decades of dedication and he has been at it for almost his entire life. He states he is not a martial artist, but this is an indication of his humbleness. He prefers to be considered an actor/comedian and stuntman.

Seagal doesn't like to be bothered by fans or paparazzi. He doesn't agree with the argument that being famous entails having to deal with invasion of privacy. Because of this, and the fact there's a lot of people trying to 'falsely' buddy up to him, he tends to be a bit snippity with the general public. As to his ego, he has one. How do you think he was able to be successful in Hollywood? Personal opinions aside, his ego, combined with his skills and his self-confidence, are the reasons Seagal became a successful 'action star.'

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

well, he could beat the crap outta' me, be humble enough not to brag about it, and probably drive me to the ER. i also wouldn't be surprised if he payed any medical bills that my insurance didn't cover, just 'cuz he seems like that nice a guy. so i'd say that that makes him a true martial artist.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

Thank you very much for clearing that up. It is so nice to know that humility is still thought of as an important character trait.

Sure, Segal is good, but no one wanted to buddy up to him. He came into a local pawn shop to purchase a weapon and acted as though his feal matter had no stench. Where I am from, we take no stock in who you are or what you do, but in how you treat others. Call me a Southern Belle. if you will, but pretty is as pretty does. In reality, I wouldn't mind learning a thing or two from him. Should I go back home to Mobile, AL; I may have the chance..not personally from him, since rumor has it that he did open a school there. I will see if that rumor is true.

Jacky Chan is a great guy and an exceptional martial artist. I agree with battousai16 - he seems like a really really nice kind of person.

I totally admire his film work, especially all the stunts he does in them.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yeppers, in no uncertain terms Jackie Chan is a 'real' action hero. He does all his own stunts, and many are seriously risky. The guy has broken bones all over his body, including a fragment of his skull still lodged in his brain. Can't say the same for Seagull, Van Dancer, Governator, Jet Lie, or any other movie-magic martial artist of today.

When someone asks what a martial artist should strive for, i point to Chan's humble personage and general outlook on life.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

think about the much vaunted 'martial spirit'; to do your best and be the best at what-ever you chose to do.

i think it's safe to say that he and his team are probably the best (if not then one of the best)martial arts stunt teams in the world.

i don't care what styles, what belts, what ranks, whatever.

the fact that they make things seem easy gets my respect.

if you've ever tried to make your own fight scene, you'll know what i mean....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Can someone answer a question? I hear that Jackie Chan actually is not a true martial artist. Is this correct? Does he actually hold any belts and in what styles? I know he studied a variation of Shao Lin, but does he actually hold rank?

I didn't know rank mattered that much. I thought studying an art made you an artist if you practiced said art. Case in point, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace didn't hold an official rank for many years because his instructor didn't give them out. When he started competing he needed one and his instructor said, okay, 2nd degree blackbelt. True story.

Yeah, Jackie's the real deal alright....

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

if you've ever tried to make your own fight scene, you'll know what i mean....

I *do* know what you mean! I've made a couple of martial arts movies with fight scenes, and DANGIT! They are NOT easy!! They are difficult to shoot, difficult to plan, and difficult to do. Also, and this is just personal opinion, they require a certain kind of intimacy and closeness between the fighters in order to look *really* good. One movie I made with a friend who I have known for 8 or 9 years, and another movie I tried to make with this guy I had just met and was dating. It was very clear which movie was better coreographed and just all around tighter.

Since attempting it on my own, I have gained so much more respect for movie martial artists and the difficulties in their work.

And if anyone wants to come out to San Francisco and make a movie with me, you're on!!!!