• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keeping it in the family

I'm the first person in my family ever to do a MA, but my fiance's family is a different story. He's a 2nd dan, his mum's a 4th dan, his dad's a 5th dan, I think their grandfatehr did some kind of MA, and their two good friends are a 5th dan and a 7th dan (the chief instructor). So its very intimidating for me sometimes when they're all there, and I'm the only one who isn't a blackbelt. I usually excuse myself and take the dog for a walk!

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the first person in my family ever to do a MA, but my fiance's family is a different story. He's a 2nd dan, his mum's a 4th dan, his dad's a 5th dan, I think their grandfatehr did some kind of MA, and their two good friends are a 5th dan and a 7th dan (the chief instructor). So its very intimidating for me sometimes when they're all there, and I'm the only one who isn't a blackbelt. I usually excuse myself and take the dog for a walk!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, when I write it all down its funny, but believe me its no laughing matter when you've just done a grading and you're standing in their kitchen afterwards with five of the most important people in the organisation! :o

"Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals . . . except the weasel."

- Homer J Simpson

Sorry, I understand, but since they are experts they should know that in MA everyone has its own learning curve.

Well, I am the first person to be in MA, but my dad influenced it! (I owe my dad my life because of it). I started in a school program, I quickly advanced to Black Belt (of which I am not proud of) :( Then my dad brought me to the Dojo that I am at now (Bassai Karate Academy)! :D I think my dad regrets it though, b/c he cannot keep me away from there! My friends all think I am obsessed, but look at them now, half of them are in MA with me!

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.