• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keeping it in the family

I actually hounded my parents until they let me join...

they ere sure I would quit, just as I had quit everything else...

My dad made it to second degree black belt, and quit for pysical and political reasons...

20 years after starting, though, I am still involved and getting my "Master's" belt next month....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son expressed an interest in taking martial arts. Right about that time, a friend of mine opened his own MA school (Kuk Sool Won), and invited me to bring my son Andreas for a trial.

Well, it looked so fascinating that I decided to join too that day.

It's been a real pleasure watching my son progress, as well as grow in stature. He's got a very nice, high spin kick developed! It won't be too much longer before he's taller than me, but I'm determined to not let him beat me in sparring! :D

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

For me it was friends. A friend got interested, and my brother and I got involved with it as well.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I've tried getting my sister involved - but she's too obsessed with figureskating.

My mother complains of her back...

My fathers never has the time.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

A friend of mine that has back troubles found they got better after training with us in karate...ha ha! She has no more excuse!

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

actually yeah i joined because of my brother when i was 9 years old.......and because of the ninja turtles lol.

i find it interesting how many people quit taking karate, i cant understand it, karate is so beneficial i will never stop. not until im dead

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

It was my dad who suggested it to my younger (much younger) brother and I... we both joined and then after a few weeks dad joined as well.

Both of them stopped training within a couple of years but I was hooked and am still there 11 years later :)

Now being the only person from my family and circle of friends who trains, I have no practise partner away from the dojo :(

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)

I decided to take martial art last year (March 2003) and I'm the only one in my family doing it. However when my father was young (back in the 40s) did boxing and greco-roman wrestling which were the only MAs available at that time in Italy.